Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kabobs on the Mini..fail!

Options
OK, guys..what did I do wrong here?

Bought some nice garlic and cracked pepper marinated beef kabobs from a decent market..(that said, not sure what beef they used..)

Cooked 4 min per side on Mini BGE with Woo, raised direct @ 400.  Turned 90 degrees ("ish" - hard to turn them precisely) 3X, for a total of 16 min.

Thermo (don't have a thermopen - ordering soon!) showed 150+, which "should" have been slightly under Med.

Ate them and was like shoe leather - with zero smoke flavor.

I could have microwaved them and they would have had more character/taste.

Ideas?

Hate to say it, but I might be doing the next ones on the..ummm..red headed stepchild (KJC, even tho it's black and not red..but you guys know..)

I love my Mini and it cooks some awesome grub, but it's also...ummm..inconsistent at times..

Thx..
Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @SmokeyBear‌ said: What did I do wrong?
    I spotted you problem immediately my friend. You used a mini. This will always yield poor results. One must use at least a large to achieve superior results. I'm just kidding my friend. Without seeing the kabobs in question it would be hard to say for sure what caused your dilemma but I suspect it was the pre-made kabobs being of poor quality. This is a risk that you take when you buy pre-made products. There is no telling what cut and grade of meat was used. Also the kabobs may have been allowed to warm for to long of a time by the folks making and packaging them. Again it would be hard to narrow down the exact cause of failure but my guess would be it is quality related and nothing to do with the chef.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Are you sure about the finish temp? Seems to me 16 minutes raised direct on my MBGE would be very overdone for most kabobs - and most certainly for the closer to the flame mini with store bought prepackaged kabobs. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Gadfly
    Gadfly Posts: 121
    Options

your problem most likely has to do with the cut of the meat. I use (at the minimum) sirlion and preferably rib eye prime.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    It is costing you $$$ not to get the Therapen my friend. That meat had to be overcooked. I use my Mini all the time and it is quick, the number one reason I have a Mini Woo for it. But for kabobs I don't use it.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    Options
    Yeah..want to order a Thermapen ASAP..but Amazon doesn't seem to carry them anymore so no joy on that as I need to order direct now (bummer..I hate paying shipping and have Amazon Prime for that reason..)

SO much easier to just click "buy now" and have it two days without setting up all the stuff for a new account, paying shipping, etc.

Amazon USED to carry them (I'm pretty sure) so not sure what happened..
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    hot grill, close to the burning lump,  130  internal probably would have given you slightly under medium. 150 and your approaching well done with a couple minutes rest. if your dome said 400 you were probably 50 degrees or more hotter on the grid is the mini

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I agree that they were most likely overcooked.  150 is definitely approaching well done.  Not to be pushy with the thermapen, but there is also a good chance the actual IT was higher than what you were reading.  That is the problem with cheap "instant read" thermos.  They actually take 15-20 seconds (sometimes longer) to climb up to the actual temp.  It's had to get an accurate reading with slow response times.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    I've always grilled by sight and touch. I only check internals on big cuts like butts and briskets. I'd say overcooked as well. That seems like way too long for kebobs even if the meat was cut large and packed tightly together though.
    Dearborn MI
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I'd say bad cut of meat and overcooked. If you pulled it at 150, it would continue to go up even after you pulled it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    Options
    I say OVERCOOKED you pulled @ 150  to me that say shoe leather 

2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I agree they were overcooked. 

Cooking at 400* direct leaves little time for smoke flavor absorption.

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    Options
    Thanks much, guys..good comments and advice all around.

What temp SHOULD I have cooked these puppies at?  And for how long?

I agree on the "bad cut of meat" comment..I did buy these at a high end / foofy market but doesn't mean they used good beef.  I've had a LOT better - but I assembled my own from parts also (bought and marinated the meat, veggies vs buying "ready to grill kabobs").
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Options
    Pull at 125 and rest under foil.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    It might help you to just leave the dome open like this to avoid over cooking. The thermapen is worth every penny too.