Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help with temp problem

Options
Here lately I have been having problems getting the temp up on my lrg.  egg. I put a full chimney and cannot get the temp over 350.

Comments

• Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    First - have you pulled out your fire box and made it all nice and clean?  When filling, does your lump have lots of small pieces maybe filling the air holes in the fire box?  Something that happened to me - I tried a new type of lump and it did not get as hot as my good old standby.  Have you changed lumps?
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    Options
    also, are you using lump thats been open for the winter.  It can pull in moisture and be hard to get up to temp sometimes.
    Pentwater, MI
  • TheShaytoon
    TheShaytoon Posts: 420
    Options
    When you say a full Chimney, do you mean that there is no other lump in the egg? 

If your chimney is as large as mine, then there might not be enough lump.

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• Egglegal_Alien
    Egglegal_Alien Posts: 113
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Typical reasons for this sort of problem and solutions:

1. Limited airflow: 
         - Make sure the firebox's opening is aligned with the draft door
         - Make sure ash/small debris is not blocking the holes on the firebox and the friebox's grate, you can use a “wiggle rod” or ash tool to move lump around and help it fall through the grate. 
         - Leave the draft door damper completely open and don’t use the CI cap / daisy wheel

2. Lighting:
         - Give lump a chance to light properly, wait for a 10 minutes (or until you see a thin layer of ash covering the lump) after lighting before closing the lid.

3. Limited fuel:
         - BGE recommends a filled up firebox and there’s really little sense (if any) in not following this advice given that once you’re done cooking you can put the ceramic cap and close the draft door to snuff the fire out, and any excess fuel you might have put in will be there for your next cook (just mix in a little new lump to fill the firebox again).

Hope this helps, cheers!
    XL BGE + Large BGE @ Monterrey, Mexico
  • bbcheek
    Options
    I had the same problem.  Tried all suggestions. I bought a Kick Ash Basket and my problems are over.
  • BIll-W221
    Options
    Not waiting long enough before closing the lid was my biggest problem. And I also bought a Kick Ash, love that basket.
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    More fuel and more air flow.
  • 2beast
    2beast Posts: 50
    Options
    Check for obstruction of air holes.
    Pull firebox and clean out the ash behind it, mine was packed around the outside.