Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sunday night Brisky

Options
DIAD
DIAD Posts: 187
Hello everyone!  I had some guys from work come over today for a lunch meeting at my house.  I put a 14lb packer on at 3:30pm yesterday, Sunday.  I rubbed it with mustard and dizzy dust coarse.  The temp on the Maverick was anywhere from 212 to 226 at the top of the AR.  Pulled it off at 8am today.  The temp was 198 when I pulled it off.  Amazing!  This was only my second one and it was so much less stressful than the first one. 

I do have a question.  It seems that most people recommend pulling anywhere from 195-205.  That would mean when you FTC it right away the meat will continue to rise in temp to about 205 to 215, correct?  Then would it make sense to pull it at 185-195 so that the carry over takes you where you want it to go? 
Thanks!! 
Chester, MD

Comments

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    That's a damn fine looking brisket @DIAD

I don't consider myself enough of a brisket expert to answer your question. My brisket cooks have been all over the board. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Any job openings where you work? Would love to be invited to the next meeting! Great looking brisket!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the cooler holds the IT not does not cause the IT to rise... Unless your cooler is providing a heat higher than 205°, it would be pretty tough to raise the temperature.

It may raise a degree, but nothing to where it will ruin the meat.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• DIAD
    DIAD Posts: 187
    Options
    I thought that wrapping a piece of meat in foil would cause the temperature to rise.  I think it's called carry over cooking???  Maybe I am way off base. 

@minniemoh Thank you for the compliment!

@fence0407 I am certainly lucky for sure to have a cool place to work!  I actually did get paid to eat brisket today!  Maybe, I died and this is what heavens like. 

Chester, MD
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    It does rise.  You cook it until it's done and it's immediately ready to eat.  But we don't really cook to temperature.  We cook to a temperature range and then check it for tenderness.
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Carryover cooking is sort of like momentum.  There are 3 main factors. Grill temp, Meat temp, and Meat mass.

Pull a brisket off a 225 degree grill when it hits 205 and it will not rise much if any.  
    Pull a brisket off a 350 degree grill when it hits 205 and it rise a few degrees.
    Pull a thin steak off a 500 degree when it hits 140 grill and it may rise 10+ degrees.

Foiling any of the above will increase both the time and temp of the carryover cooking.  This stands to reason as the temperature of the entire mass of meat will eventually equalize.  If you don't let heat escape out of the meat, then more heat will push to the middle where your probe is (or was).