Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can dome misalignment cause increased lump burn?

Options
Hi, everyone.

Can dome misalignment cause increased lump burn?

I have a very tight dome (dollar bill won't pull out) at 3/4s of my dome and looser (bill pulls out easily) on about 1/4 of it (right side).

I don't see any smoke escaping on the right side, so wouldn't "think" there's too much airflow contributing to longer shutdown times or increased lump burn, but gotta say I burn through lump (RO, Wicked Good, whatever) like nobody's business.

I'm lighting with an electric lighter if that makes any difference.  Have been wondering if I used starter cubes or something else if it'd burn less lump - but I can easily fill firebox halfway full and have nothing but ash and a few pebbles within an hour..

Full disclosure: this is on a..'red headed stepchild' (KJ Classic), not a LBGE.  Really wishing at this point that I had just gotten the LBGE instead to compliment my Mini BGE!  That Mini is a lump MISER..but I'm not sure if it's due to better ceramics/etc or just because it's a heck of a lot smaller than the KJ Classic.

TIA for any/all help you guys can provide.  The other forum is like a ghost town and no help to be had on the 'red side'.
Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Yes. Only because you are likely sucking in air around the gasket area. Align and do dollar bill test.
    Kamado - Kamado Lid adjustment.. Big Green Egg -…: http://youtu.be/71Jplxn4yAg
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    Options
    Thanks..I've also heard that if you don't see smoke coming out to leave it well enough alone, as there isn't likely air leakage w/no smoke?  (And, it's easy to make it worse trying to align?)
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Also..if I was pulling it a lot of additional air, wouldn't my temp be going nuts during a cook?

I have a hard time getting my KJ Classic above 550 - and that's with good lump, good lighting, draft door wide open, running top naked, etc.

No idea how you guys are getting nuke temps on your LBGEs.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If you can control the air flow from barely-enough-to-keep-fire-lit to nuclear, you control how much lump it burns.  Leaks on the gasket area usually bleed a little smoke, I suppose that could make the egg a little less efficient, but I'm skeptical.
    Options
    I just replaced my blown gasket but even before that I did an 18 cook no problem and low fuel consumption even with almost no gasket
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I would align it for two reasons. Longevity of gasket and aesthetics. The video just really simplifies the process IMHO.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    If you can control the air flow from barely-enough-to-keep-fire-lit to nuclear, you control how much lump it burns.  Leaks on the gasket area usually bleed a little smoke, I suppose that could make the egg a little less efficient, but I'm skeptical.
    I'd agree with this. Although, as you said, might contribute a bit to the time it takes for your fire to go out post-cook. 
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.