Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Mother's Day Butt or Two

By request of the MIL, pulled pork is what's for dinner. On at 300F at 815 am with apple wood and Chris Lilly's rub recipe. Hoping to be done by 4 to eat at 5.

Comments

• grege345grege345 Posts: 3,515
    @HDmstng‌ how many pounds are those bad boys?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• HDmstngHDmstng Posts: 192
    Think 7ish each
  • daffy1909daffy1909 Posts: 490
    What's that old saying? Great minds think alike!! Enjoy your cook! :-h
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 6,855
    Good looking buttocks

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

• dstearndstearn Posts: 1,230
    Looks like everyone is smoking their Butts for Mother's Day! My Butt went on the BGE at 7:15 AM. Using the Aaron Franklin method with Post Oak.
    Up to 170F it, think I'll pass on foiling and let them ride?
  • grege345grege345 Posts: 3,515
    How ya makin out?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

They are almost done.  I should have rotated them an couple of hours ago though.  What I'm finding is the outer parts of the butts are almost at 190-210 and probe is sliding in great, but the inner parts are at 180+ and meeting some resistance. I rotated each butt 180 degees and will let them go another 30 minutes and check.  Then will FTC until ready to pull.
  • plumbfir01plumbfir01 Posts: 719
    @HDmstng, find the middle and assure its 190+ and bone is moving around if pulled, FTC and it will generally level the temp throughout in my experience. 
    Beaufort, SC
    Thanks plumbfii01.  These are boneless and I pulled the smaller one 30 minutes ago and it is FTC'ing.  The other was 189 in the center mass and going to let it go for a few more minutes and then pull and FTC.

The smaller one was a tad dry but the larger one was spot on. The pic is of the larger, it broke into two pieces when lifting to pull.
  • stevesailsstevesails Posts: 990
    Here's mine. First turbo. Bone in 7 lbs. 350 dome. 6 hours. Dizzy dust.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI