Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Skinless Spatchcock Chicken

I've been threatening to do a skinless spatchcock chicken for a while now.  Talk is cheep!  Last night I ran out of excuses.  I started with a smaller chicken than normal (just over 4 lbs).  My Egg prep was simple - I had filled the fire ring 3 cooks ago with Fogo, and it was now down to where I could consolidate into the CGS XL Lump Reducing Ring.   I didn't add any new lump.  Here's what that looks like:  Oops - I had hoped to be able to insert the pics in with the text - either my browser doesn't support that, or I'm a total knob.  They will appear in order (he said hopefully) at the end.

Next. I set up the AR with a grid on the top, to get the cook as high in the dome as possible.

Here is the spatched bird, with keel bone removed.   Note the most excellent Chicago Cutlery knife from the mid-70s.  After rejuvenation with the Ken Onion Work Sharp, it cuts as well as the Shuns - of course it won't hold the edge as long, and it isn't as pretty.

Next, I agonized over the seasoning du jour.  I ended up with DP Tsunami Spin spread generously on both sides, and allowed to sit in the fridge for a whole 20 minutes while the egg stabilized at 400.

Then I threw it on, set the timer for 45 minutes, and closed the lid.  At 35 minutes into the cook, I stuck the asparagus in foil on.

At 45 minutes, the scrawny thighs were at 180, and the breast was at 160.  I removed the thighs, and left the breast on for another 5 minutes.   

Then we ate while the Clippers tried in vain to beat San Antonio.  I didn't take a picture of the parts pre-dining, but here are the left overs:

The skinless Spatch had a good taste, and was still moist, but I would certainly grade it down for presentation.  It looked sort of like a skinned frog.  GFU liked it, so I guess we'll repeat the exercise. 

imageimageimageimageimageimage
Santa Paula, CA

Comments

• chromerdon
    chromerdon Posts: 15
    Clippers playing San Antonio that didn't happen. Oklahoma my friend, the Thunder
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Right - I was thinking about how Portland was decimated by SA, and the Clippers could not finish.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    +1 on it looking like a frog
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Looks good and I'm doing my first one today. I choose to leave the skin on. I see you went raised derect, I was thinking of going indirect at 400° with legs on the bottom grid and the spatchcock on the raised grid. So 180° is what I am stooting for, that was one of my questions, so its answered. I brined it all over night and the rub is on now. Putting on around 3:30 to 4:00 for dinner at in-laws at 6:00. Can I FTC the chicken?
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I always cut the skin off mine too. Looks good.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • tksmoke

@Ladeback60 - 175 would be the target temperature for the thighs, 165 for the breast.  This one surprised me - maybe because of being so high in the dome, or possibly because it was a small bird.  It was fine at 180, but 175 for the thigh is better. 

I wouldn't do it indirect (although some folks do) - it comes out EXCELLENT Direct.  Again, no use making this complicated - it is simple. And I think will be more flavorful Direct.  It will be done in under an hour at 400 (depending on size and how often you peek).  I would start checking at 45 minutes.  Typically the thighs will be done before the breast.  I remove the thighs - they pull right off cleanly.  5 to 10 minutes more is all that is usually required for the breast to be done.   

I can't speak to FTC for chicken - never done it.

Santa Paula, CA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Why?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I tried it indirect and will go direct next time. It was good, but it took a little longer than an hour the temp got away from me and it got a little smokey, but tasted great. Thanks for the help. I should have listened to you.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Indirect here tonight @400. Perfect

Seattle, WA
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Why sans skin?
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• tksmoke

The reason I went skinless was primarily that we don't eat much of the skin because of the fat content.  Sooooo, it is difficult to live with the great aromas coming from the seasoned skin, and not getting the benefit of tasting it.  The thought was that I could season the skinless chicken directly, and enjoy the taste of the seasoning, rather than throwing it away with the uneaten skin.  And that part was successful.  The chicken was still moist, and very yummy.  It just looked "wrong".  As a biologist in a former life, it reminded me of a skinless dissection frog.

Santa Paula, CA
  • ReldtiCDN
    ReldtiCDN Posts: 142
    I see a chunk off ?in there. Did the meat take more or less smoke without skin?
    Brampton, Ontario

• tksmoke

I had a couple chunks of hickory at hand, so in it went.  I'm using Fogo lump, which is very neutral, and I like a little smoke.  Two chunks was just right - a very light smoke taste.  Not overpowering, but enuf to add another layer of flavor. 

When cooking, my scenting ability is compromised quickly while building the fire, and it's not until tasting it the next day that I can really appreciate the smoke. 

Santa Paula, CA