Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Fenway

I am headed to Fenway May 29th the see Red Sox-Braves. Looking at tickets on stubhub but wasn't sure if any of you lived there and had experience buying outside the gates. I'd prefer to avoid stubhub markup and fees if possible. Excited about my first trip to Boston. Staying in Copley Plaza. Any suggestions for activities are welcomed!

Comments

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    Boston is one of the best cities in the world. Check out the bukowski tavern. Great tiny Boston bar. Hit up Neptune and b+g for fantastic oysters. As far as Fenway goes - check out the Bleacher Bar. Next to the big green monster on the outside of the park, it was the old batting cage and has been transformed into a bar. Only place in Fenway you can get a Sam Adams. And you can see the field through a garage door from inside the bar. Amazing. Put your hands on the facade on yonkey where the gate is - those bricks are over 100 years old. Walk down to the field and touch the soil around the diamond. You can reach over the wall and touch the field. So cool.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I'm sure it varies from one street vendor to the next, probably one DAY to the next, but I had some mighty fine sausage and peppers on a hard roll from one of the carts outside Fenway before the game.

Unless they've changed it, you can't walk around Fenway to see the whole place. Once you hand over your ticket and enter your section, that's where you have to stay. That was disappointing to me. I just wanted to wander around to check it out. Nice park to watch a game, but it's pretty much a dump. 
    :))

Boston's, umm, a challenge to drive in. My first trip there, I commented that I didn't see how people could drive there every day without getting in accidents all the time. No sooner were the words out of my mouth than I got rear ended!! Narrow streets, lotsa cars.

Avoid at all costs, Durgin Park!! Bar none, THE WORST dining experience of my life. Been a long time, but I remember it like it was yesterday.

If you're interested in antique cars, the Larz Anderson museum in Brookline (couple of miles from Fenway) has an outdoor show on June 1. Nice place. I haven't been to that one, but I have been to their British car show a couple of times. On my last trip, I saw Pat Leno's TR-3 (Jay's brother). All I can find are these small pics. It deserves better-nice car!

imageimageimage

Enjoy your trip!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,868
    Have fun! Been there many times in my life and it's a great place to watch a game. And I second the caution against driving around the city - it's not a good idea. Just stick to the train and you'll be fine.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795

I bought secondary tickets there from Ace Tickets as some locals (my in-laws) suggested they were preferred to Stub Hub for Red Sox tickets.  It seemed to me that they were the same as dealing with Stub Hub.  There were some people walking around selling but because we had tickets I didn't really try to assess the prices/availability.

We ended up in the old seats down the right field line that are under the overhang of the seats above.  I don't recommend them. 

Wish I could be more help.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• warheel
    warheel Posts: 4
    It's been a while since my last game at Fenway, but I did find some tickets below face against a middle of the road opponent in the bleachers once. It was around game time. I know a couple,of folks that went to the Yankees game a week or two ago and one guy paid $50, but I forgot where his seat was.
  • Cloom
    Cloom Posts: 21
    Congrats, Fenway is a great place to watch a game if you think that it looks little dumpy just remember that the stadium is 100+ years old. I used to work there so here are a few tips. Do not wait until you get there to get tickets from a scalper or somebody outside the park. If you think that stub hub is expensive then wait until you try and buy a ticket outside the stadium. When you get there you can walk in any gate and walk around not just the gate that's on your ticket. Get there early and enjoy the atmosphere around the park. If you are not used to driving in a city do not drive to the game, take the train or a cab. There is no tailgating anyway but the bar scene is pretty good. If you want a bite to eat before the game go to Lansdown street and eat off a sausage cart much better deal the in the park. Enjoy the game
  • Carolina Q
    Cloom said:
    When you get there you can walk in any gate and walk around not just the gate that's on your ticket.
    They sure wouldn't let me do that! When I was there, it wasn't for a Yanks game, but maybe they could tell I was a Yanks fan.  :D

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Cloom
    Cloom Posts: 21
    When were you there? It used to be that if you were in the bleachers you were stuck in the bleachers but anywhere else you could wander around. Unless they have changed it in the last 3 or 4 years you can wander around as you like. They have also closed Yawkey way and made that a large outdoor concourse where they have food carts and beer venders. They won't let you go down different sections of seats if that is what you mean they are very particular about that.
  • Carolina Q
    Dunno. It's been a very long time. We sat in the shade of a billboard. Early spring, it was a cold day and I froze my a$$ off. Haven't been back. Been a Yanks fan too long to go to Sox games. :) This was a Scout trip with a buncha kids.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    been along time since being at the game, my favorite roof top seats are gone now
    :))try and get seats along the third base line, if your on the first base line avoid the seats in the outfield side, those seats sit sideways and your watching the game over your left shoulder the whole time, the outfield seats on the third base are fine. looks like the added to the roof top with pavillion, i would buy the pavillion seats in that area if seeing a game, or the third base outfield wall for foul balls. i used to be a bleacher creature but its been ruined over the years and is mostly families with kids now, they even replaced the lovely troughs with toiletry.
    :D dont sit too far back on the lower level with the obstructed views
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • brock9281
    brock9281 Posts: 64
    I too went to Fenway for my first time just a couple weeks ago and had a blast. We got our tickets off Ace Tickets which is Boston's largest ticket broker. I would also highly recommend doing the Premium Tour of Fenway for $25. It takes you on the field, in the Green Moster and a lot of insight into how historical Fenway really is. This was by far the best decision we made.
    Atlanta, GA
  • brock9281
    brock9281 Posts: 64
    Also, our seats were section 41 row 8 and they were great seats. Paid $50/ticket
    Atlanta, GA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    those are great seats in the spring on a sunny day
    brock9281 said:
    Also, our seats were section 41 row 8 and they were great seats. Paid $50/ticket

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • AUWAG
    AUWAG Posts: 73
    Thanks everyone! Great advice