Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Grid advice

Options
I just bought the cast iron cooking grid, and I am planning on cooking steaks tomorrow on it. Anybody have any advice on seasoning it before I cook or should I just throw the steaks on? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Unless you are going to do the steaks low temp like 400* or less I wouldn't bother. It will burn off on a high temp cook

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Just throw them on brother. It will season its self real soon. You may want to give it a quick wipe with oil before you put it on the egg but short of that don't worry about it. Enjoy the new grid. Just for the record cooking oil my friend not motor oil!!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I just washed mine and put it on the egg. Might have brushed on some oil, don't remember.

I have three of them. They kept breaking and my dealer replaced them under warranty. Both broken ones are still usable so my third one is still in the bag. I have heard that some folks hack saw through the outer ring in a few places to relieve the stress. Since that's where both of mine broke, I may do that when I finally start using #3. Don't really know if it'll work. Or if your's will break. Mine were good for just a few cooks before...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    SGH said:
    Just throw them on brother. It will season its self real soon. You may want to give it a quick wipe with oil before you put it on the egg but short of that don't worry about it. Enjoy the new grid. Just for the record cooking oil my friend not motor oil!!!
    LOL - right no 10W30! OTOH if he wants to do it quicker then wiping it the CI can be sprayed with PAM. Just NEVER spray PAM into open flames!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options

I just washed mine and put it on the egg. Might have brushed on some oil, don't remember.

I have three of them. They kept breaking and my dealer replaced them under warranty. Both broken ones are still usable so my third one is still in the bag. I have heard that some folks hack saw through the outer ring in a few places to relieve the stress. Since that's where both of mine broke, I may do that when I finally start using #3. Don't really know if it'll work. Or if your's will break. Mine were good for just a few cooks before...
    Wait a second. They let you "keep" the broken ones? Mine broke and they took my old one. What is the procedure for returns or is that dealers discretion?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Wait a second. They let you "keep" the broken ones? Mine broke and they took my old one. What is the procedure for returns or is that dealers discretion?
    I emailed pics to my dealer, he got me a new grid. Twice. The first one was delivered to me in the office by a coworker who lived near the dealer (40 mi for me). The second one showed up at my front door (UPS from the distributor as I recall). Don't know why they did that or who screwed up, but I was happy.

No idea what the official policy is, but with all the different stories I've heard, there apparently isn't one!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut