Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just Got These In Today!

I have been using Jack Daniels Whiskey Barrel chips, but I have found that they burn so quick that I have to add more often. 

I discovered that I could buy the chunks. They came in this morning. They are BIG. 

I also have been using apple chips and had the same problem. I ordered the apple chunks and they came in today as well. I am guessing that as big as these chunks are they should last a lot longer. 

Have any of you ever used either of these products? I am hoping that some of you have and are happy with the results.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    They sell them at academy. I really like the jd oak chunks.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I am hoping I will like them. I didn't realize they sell them at Academy. I got these from Amazon. I go to Academy in Augusta every couple of months. I will have to check it out next time I am over. 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Any idea if you can get Tobasco barrel chunks like that?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    I've used the apple one a couple of times.  No issues with it.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    They sell that brand a lot around me.  I really like them and the size of the pieces are really nice.  It is super cheap around me too so I use their oak and apple.   
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    As Jeremiah said, we also buy them local at Academy Sports. Very happy with both.
    They also have Cherry and it's my favorite smoke wood.
    Still use the JD chips allot with quick cooks but the chunks are easier when you need a longer smoke times. I did use some wine barrel chunks several years ago and they were fantastic as well.
    See you in the mountains in a couple weeks...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    I buy the western bags at Walmart or lowes locally. They carry pecan cherry and apple. I just stopped in cabelas last month and they had orange and peach. I love them and have no issues
    Beaufort, SC
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Make sure you swing by the bbq section at Academy when you are near one. They have all kinds of things that are useful accessories, for reasonable prices.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Maizeandbrew18
    Maizeandbrew18 Posts: 69
    edited May 2014
    For those in the Midwest, they sell the Jack Daniels chunks for $12 a bag at Meijer.
    Large BGE
    Lexington, SC
  • doncarl
    doncarl Posts: 23
    i have been using the apple chunks for more than a year....they perform very well...no need to soak

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122

I am hoping I will like them. I didn't realize they sell them at Academy. I got these from Amazon. I go to Academy in Augusta every couple of months. I will have to check it out next time I am over. 

I've been searching for the JD chunks. They seemed rather expensive thru Amazon. $22. Located the chips at WalMart for around $5. Purchased a couple bags. I'll keep looking for the chunks.

XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I can get the chips cheap, but I wanted to try the chunks. I agree that $22 is kind of expensive, but I live an hour away from Academy, and I don't go over very often. 

With Amazon I get free shipping and with gas being so expensive it just makes sense to order a lot of stuff instead of driving over. 

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    I use the apple chunks you have pictured above. Love em!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I've purchased wood at the link below and have been very happy with it.  Most of his orders include free shipping.  We were out in Grand Junction, Colorado and stopped in to buy some wood and the owner is very nice and has a great supply of all kinds of wood,

http://www.fruitawoodchunks.com/agoakbobach.html

The link is for their bourbon barrel wood but you can easily get to their list of all their wood.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    I ordered wood chunks from a different outfit. Don't recall their name. Was satisfied with their product. Will give Fruita wood my next order.
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    i have used the apple chunks numerous times and have no issues at all with them.
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • vchelf
    vchelf Posts: 95
    I've used cherry chunks by the same company and they worked fine. I definitely prefer the chunks over the little chips.
    Victor Chelf
    Houston, TX

Just one Large BGE
    Visit my Victor's Vittles blog - dedicated to my Big Green Eggventures