Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

16" CGS stone question

I'm just about to place my order, and was wondering if the 16" will work on top of the adjustable rigs extender or not. I was thinking possible air flow restriction but I don't know as I've never seen how far in dome it will be.
middle of nowhere- G.I. NE

Comments

• tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Sorry, I looked closer at the website and seen pics where that's the setup being used.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    Do a forum search on 'pizza stone size'.  It seems 14" if the max size recommended for Large egg. Here's one from last month:
    canuckland
  • keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited April 2014
    My go to pizza stone is a 14" BGE pizza stone, actually bought two of them so one would always be clean. I use a 13" CGS stone as a deflector on the second notch of my AR (just sit the stone on the rods no grate). My pizza stone sits on top of the AR. Works amazing ; Just my opinion but I think 16 is too big unless you cooking on a XL.  

• I've used the 16 inch CGS stone on top of the extender several times for pizza and it's worked great in my large. In that setup I had the spider with the 13 inch stone for the indirect. It's recommended that your indirect stone be equal size or larger but it didn't see to cause me any problems. I've also used the 16 inch stone for indirect in the AR on the 1.5 level and also didn't notice a problem with lack of air flow. Been considering getting another 16 inch stone to use in the AR for indirect with a 16 on top of the extender for the pizza.
  • tjosborne
    At this point I really wish I had an xl and a mini. Too large for just a steak or two, too small for a family size papa murphys pizza, my main reason for getting it.
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Tried a 16" stone and couldn't get enough airflow to cook the top of the pizza by the time the stone browned the bottom.  
  • Deckhand said:
    Tried a 16" stone and couldn't get enough airflow to cook the top of the pizza by the time the stone browned the bottom.  
    How far up in the dome were you? Mine cooked the top great but I had it on top of the AR extender so I was getting good heat reflection off of the top.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    for thin crust pizza, the top of the rig extender and 16 stone is the best set up I've found.   big stone for big pizza.  Only real variable is one's ability to manage the temp coming off the lump.  Even burning lump at 450ish dome and it's good.

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    I use a 16" stone on top of the BGE plate setter, legs down.  550 degrees.  This was for baking unbaked pies I got from a local pizza joint.
    The Naked Whiz
  • tjosborne
  • Never cooked Pizza on cast iron before in the egg.. not sure how well that would work. I have used cast iron pans in the oven to cook pizza and it worked great. I think you would want to preheat it on the egg and then slide the pizza on and off. The model your looking at has ridges that would make that difficult. Also, be careful that the diameter will fit on the egg with those handles.  If your going metal I would think you want flat steel with no handles. There have been several threads lately about cooking on steel.
  • tjosborne
    Ya, I guess I never noticed those ridges. I just really don't wana buy the 14" BGE stone, its $73 + tax here.
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    The 16" works just great using the Rig Extender on top on the AR. Use it all the time for baking Papa Murphy's pizza just like Tom says at CGS.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • tjosborne
    Springram said:
    The 16" works just great using the Rig Extender on top on the AR. Use it all the time for baking Papa Murphy's pizza just like Tom says at CGS.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    It looks to be 50 50 to me. I'll get the 14 just to make sure it will work. My orders placed already. My peel is 14 as well I just figured out so I guess it will be fine, I'll just have to cook 2 pizzas for supper, thank you all.
  • Springram
    Not to be argumentative, but the creator of the AR says it works for him just great. 50/50? I will go with the inventor of the AR and my own experience. 

Springram
    Spring,
    Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • tjosborne
    Springram said:
    Not to be argumentative, but the creator of the AR says it works for him just great. 50/50? I will go with the inventor of the AR and my own experience. 

Springram
    Spring,
    Texas
    He said thin though. Could I do a family size Chicago style stuffed in there? Its at least 3 inches thick.
  • Springram
    You got me there!  I have no personal knowledge of that. I do bake the original crust (not thin) with great results, however. I do have a ceramic deep crust pizza pan (BGE). I may try that one day directly on the Rig Extender to see if the lid will close. 

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    I look at pizza two ways. 

First, thin crust pizza is more of a grilling cook.  Typically if I get the toppings cooked, the dough is cooked and vise versa.  I think of this cook as I'm actually cooking the stone.  What do I need to do to keep the stone at 425ish degrees.  Then, the stone cooks the pizza. 

Second, thicker dough pizza or deep dish is more of a baking cook.  Longer cook and typically all the energy and effort is making sure the dough is baked through and cooking the toppings is not a worry.  For this cook, I would use a blocking stone as a safety measure to insure the baking (pizza) stone has the best chance to maintain consistent temps.  Thinking of the cook as something similar to a brisket or butt cook where I want to push the heat out the side and build down on the pizza stone.  Reason for the pizza stone high in the dome, so heat can build down on on the pizza stone.

What is thin & grilling or thick & baking is really up to your ability to control fire; how you handle the heat rising out of the fire box.  For both, I like a well mixed, even burning steak searing like fire.   This will produce an even plume of heat vertically to make sure the pizza stone is heated evenly.  I like the 16 inch stone as the fire bowl is 16 inches in diameter, again relating to even heating, and it's a big pizza.  With two stones, I always put the bigger stone on bottom to act as the blocking stone, smaller stone as the pizza stone.  This insures the heat is pushed far enough to the side to properly move around the pizza stone.  I don't like stones at the felt line, just to many bad memories of burnt gaskets.  How to space stones is a personal preference and takes a little experimenting.  Gotta love experimenting with pizza.......

t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • tjosborne
    Thanks for the tips @tjv , and the great customer service. Two days after ordering I receive my package, I'll review once I try everything out.