Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gettinng VERY nervous.

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Having the girlfriends family over for Turkey Day. They were going to do all the cooking, but I voluntered to do the turkey and gravy. I am using Max's turkey recipe. [p]I have a 15 pound bird. I figure 5 hours for the bird and 30 minutes for the gravy and carving. If we are supposed to eat at 1, should I start the egg at 7 am, give it 30 minutes to get stable at 325. Bird on at 7:30, done at 12:30, 30 minutes to carve and gravy?[p]Sound about right?

Comments

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Nate,[p]I'd allow way more time than that. I'd allow an hour to get the egg ready, at least a half hour for the turkey to rest and another half hour for whatever I need it for. You'll be a hero if the turkey is sitting there looking good for an hour, but you'll be the big weenie if it's not done when they are ready to eat.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    drbbq,
    Been there...done that. Most of my guests don't drink, so in those situations I do it for them. The shame of a tardy meal seems somehow lessened that way.[p]Happy Holidays, Ray![p]Mike

• Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Nate,
    Listen to the man dr.bbq. I would give the egg at a minimum 1 hr. to stable at 350. Remember when things can go wrong they will go wrong at the most inopportune time. Better to be safe then have your company drink all your beer instead of eating your turkey. Happy Thanksgiving!!

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • SmokingInMO
    Options
    Nate,[p]I just put my bird on and I started at 7, give the egg plenty of time to stabilize. I spent an hour just getting the egg ready to cook.