Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

yet another brisket question ......

Options
 so my brisket is at 163 ( it ) and the egg is at 255
I think it was running at 200-210 all night ,

I woke up to a stall at 140 but think its stalled again at 163

I am concerned that it wont be ready by 5:30 . (we are eating at 6 )
I dont want to wrap it so my question is this ....

what temp can I kick it up to that would be ok ?
Toronto

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    140 is pretty early for a stall...I think you're in your first stall. 255 is a good temp for now, but you can bump to 275 if it doesn't get to 180 by 3ish.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    great thanks !!
    yeah the 140 stall seemed weird but i think the temp was a bit to low as i was having issues with the digi q

i will take this advice !! thanks
    Toronto
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Given you have a dead-line then time is not on your side for this...At the risk of offending the Franklin and Hotel guru :)  I would dial up the dome to around 300*F to get there now.  You can always throttle back-not so the other way with time.  Of course, it is your call and the end result will be great however you get there.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    I would bump to 300.  Brisket will need at least 1+ hour rest time uncovered. 
    You are much better off if it finishes early.  If you finish 2 hours early, let it cool 15 minutes and then wrap it in saran wrap or foil.  Cooler is not needed if your serving within 2 hours.
  • cazzy
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Whatever works...just get to the finish line.
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    cazzy said:
    140 is pretty early for a stall...I think you're in your first stall. 255 is a good temp for now, but you can bump to 275 if it doesn't get to 180 by 3ish.
    +1, I know you don't want to but foil if it comes down to it. It would still be great
  • pantsypants
    Options
    I have just bumped it up to 300  ....

we shall see how it goes .......

Toronto
  • pantsypants
    Options
    Its at 176 , I just wrapped it and put it up to 350 .
    this is taking way to long !!!
    i moved dinner to 6:30 so i need this off by 5:30

Toronto
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    @ pantsypants. Good Luck
    Large, small, and a mini
  • pantsypants
    Options
    Thanks I am good , I moved dinner to 6:30 and its reading 198
    I got a good feeling about this one !

I am going to take it off and unwrap it and leave it on the counter until 6:30 = eating time
    Toronto
  • cazzy
    Options
    Good recovery. What time did you put it on again?
  • pantsypants
    Options
    I put it on at 11 lastnight ,
    its not that big but i think i had an issue at the temp was 200 all night long , I woke up to it at 140 and it seemed to stall .

oh well its almost done and it feels amazing

it wouldnt be a brisket with out the stress .

Toronto
  • cazzy
    Options

I put it on at 11 lastnight ,
    its not that big but i think i had an issue at the temp was 200 all night long , I woke up to it at 140 and it seemed to stall .

oh well its almost done and it feels amazing

it wouldnt be a brisket with out the stress .

Sure it would. I roll 250 the whole way and my briskets are usually done in 12-14 hours. I'd suggest trying to raise it up next time...210 is like 185-190 which is too low.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @cazzy... Are you saying you roll 250℉ grid? Or dome? I like 225℉-250℉ grid.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • cazzy
    edited April 2014
    Options
    In your other thread. ..I said to do what has worked for you...which was 210 through the night. This is the type of thing is that can happen with those temps. You're making brisket, not beef jerky.
  • pantsypants
    Options
    yeah , i think i will do my next one at 225

Toronto
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    cazzy said:

In your other thread. ..I said to do what has worked for you...which was 210 through the night. This is the type of thing is that can happen with those temps. You're making brisket, not beef jerky.

Mine got dried out not because of low temp but because I over slept and woke up to a dome of 330℉ (which was likely that way for awhile) and the thickest part of flat temp was 212℉. The point was ok but the flat not so much. But, cazzy my question was the temp you recommended was that dome or grid? Meaning when I get my Stoker wouldn't I want to set my pit for 250℉. I learned from my last failed brisky. Don't be a ball buster brotha.
    :)) I clearly know why my last brisky failed (like we discussed last time --learn from failures and improve on future cooks).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • pantsypants
    Options
    @‌cazzy

I tried to have it at 210 but I had issues.
    Not sure but the egg was at 200 when I awoke this am

I tried Cazzy ! I tried
    Toronto
  • cazzy
    Options

cazzy said:

Mine got dried out not because of low temp but because I over slept and woke up to a dome of 330℉ (which was likely that way for awhile) and the thickest part of flat temp was 212℉. The point was ok but the flat not so much. But, cazzy my question was the temp you recommended was that dome or grid? Meaning when I get my Stoker wouldn't I want to set my pit for 250℉. I learned from my last failed brisky. Don't be a ball buster brotha.
    :)) I clearly know why my last brisky failed (like we discussed last time --learn from failures and improve on future cooks).
    Get this man some midol cause he's pretty sensitive today. 8->

Now that is busting your balls! :P

As mentioned, that post was directed at pantsypants. ;)
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @cazzy...I had that one a comin'!image
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Great job @pantsypants. I'm sure it will be great. I've been in your spot more than once for sure.

I'm definitely not a "brisket expert" yet either. The last one that I made was at 225 grid the whole way through. Took 19.5 hrs for a 12 lb (pre-trimmed) to get there. There was still one spot in the flat that probed tough. FTC'd for about 5 hrs and it was easily the best one I've ever made. The fat seemed to render much better for me than when I went at 250-275. Might have been the clod though. 

Looking forward to the cut photos.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @minniemoh‌...19.5 hrs is what it took to get your i.t. to 205℉/ buttuh? Seems rather long even at 225℉. Must of had a wicked long stall?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • pantsypants
    Options
    So the brisket was meh.
    The point was great but the flat was tough.
    My guests loved it but I sat in the corner sulking .
    The only redeeming thing was this
    Toronto
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL - I set the CyberQ and only checked on it periodically. It seems like it took 7-8 hrs for it to move from ~150 to 180. The lowest IT I could find was 196 when I pulled it. The past several that I made put me in a time crunch and I watched them closely. This time, I just let it ride. Much less stressful. When I took it off, I threw on two racks of baby backs and they were easily the worst I've ever made. I was just happy the brisket turned out so good.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @minniemoh‌...been there done that got the t-shirt ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • cazzy
    Options
    In my opinion...and you know how much those mean. The longer the cook...the more vulnerable the flat is to dry out.

This cinnamon rolls look fantastic.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    +1 on a jerkified flat
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @pantsypants‌...cinnamon rolls on egg or oven? Either way I would tear that $#i+ up! Oh ya!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • pantsypants
    Options
    Cinnamon rolls on egg
    They were fantastic
    Toronto