Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

vertical turkey

Options
jake42
jake42 Posts: 932
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking to do my first vertical turkey on a Willies turkey sitter for Thanksgiving this year on my large Egg. Does anyone have any tips and recipes?
Thanks

Comments

• Rich
    Rich Posts: 67
    Options
    jake42,
    I have used a vertical turkey roaster for the last 4 years and swear by them. I found that I can fit an 18 lb turkey in my large egg. I brine the turkey for 12 hours; then let it sit uncovered in the fridge for 1 hour and then 12 hours in the fridge covered. This year I will chill the breasts per the recommendation of the Naked Whiz to get the light and dark meat to finish cooking at the same time. I generally cook the turkey at 350 for 4 to 5 hours.
    Rich

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Hey Rich,[p]Could you describe your set-up?[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Hey Rich,[p]Could you describe your set-up?[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    Rich,
    Sounds good.
    Do you use the platesetter or do you put it directly on the grate?[p]Thanks

• Rich
    Rich Posts: 67
    Options
    thirdeye,
    I do it indirect - I use a drip pan sitting on a pizza stone sitting on the grid. It's a tight fit with an 18 pound turkey. I think a Plate setter would work if there is room.
    Rich

• mdugan65
    Options
    I have a large BGE and am cooking a 21 lb turkye with a vertical roaster. The turkey is sitting 14 inches off of the drip pan but my plate setter is sitting 12 inches from the top of the dome.

I have the plate setter sitting on the fire ring legs up. Do I have something set up wrong or do I need to change something for the larger turkey?