Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Advice

I'm going to try my first spatchcock chicken tomorrow and I'm looking for some advice.  You guys/gals are awesome.

1) Brine or not?
2) Choice of wood?
3) Raised indirect or just indirect?

Anything elso I should know?

Steve

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Welcome. Brine or not....I dont. Try raised direct. Chicken absorbed smoke...peach, apple..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    edited April 2014
    I don't brine, direct at normal grid level, 380F dome for about an hour 15 mins with 5-6 lb bird. Moist and crispy every time! Here's a pic!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I never brine, indirect, cherry wood.
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Oops pic...
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • roblew
    roblew Posts: 78
    I do not brine mine. Raised grate at 375. The wood I use depends on the rub I use but most of the time I use Cherry or Apple.
    Ringgold GA LBGE
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I've never brined anything and now that the doc says low sodium, I likely never will. I have always done spatched chicken raised direct, 400° with no smoke wood. I have heard that indirect at 375° results in some very crispy skin. Haven't tried it yet though.

If you want a smoky flavor, cherry will do nicely. Also gives great color! Here are some thighs I did a while back. Also raised direct, 400°. Marinated with Goya Mojo Criollo with some cherry for smoke. Should do nicely with a spatched bird.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Did a test last night went 1/2 way raised direct and at 400. Wife said it was I e of the best I've done. I usually don't eat the skin but it was real crunchy and I couldn't resist.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    You went halfway last night?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    EVOO, kosher salt, cracked peppercorn or coarse pepper. Cherry or apple wood is a nice flavor. I also have been using fresh cilantro and basil (gives a nice subtle flavor). Raised grid at 375℉-400℉ dome until breast probes at 165℉ and thighs at 180℉. I personally leave it skin side up the entire time (skin is nice and crisp at the end and flipping it I've found causes the yard bird to fall apart etc). I make about 2 of these per week as it falls in line with SWMBOs diet plan perfectly. Enjoy your first one I'm positive it won't be your last ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    henapple said:
    You went halfway last night?
    It was a whole new experience for me. It's like some projects I start I only get them 1/2 done then I start a new one.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    I say if you got the time brine. There is no real downside to brining. Any rub will do. Try many before you decide on your "go to" rub. Mickey coffee rub is the best IMO. I also melt some butter and add rub to it and use my injector to get the solution under the skin. I kind of just slide the needle under the skin w/o piercing the breast or skin.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Gator_Man
    Gator_Man Posts: 138
    edited April 2014
    As you can see it is a wide open subject! I always go indirect because back in the day! when I went direct raised I did not like the taste of the fat burning on the coals. I have done it both ways and indirect is what I like. I don't use any wood for smoke as again poultry will soak up the smoke and the lump adds enough for me and the wife. AS for rubs I haven't tried one I did not like yet but for sure have liked some better than others. I will no longer buy a rub that I can't taste first as I have had to throw away to many that just were not that good. 

I'm from North Carolina summer and Okeechobee Florida winter.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    edited April 2014
    +1 the mickeys coffee rub. I have done brined and not brined and not a big diff. I do brine the thanksgiving turkey though. Different recipe. And indirect due to the burning of fat that others reported.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Thanks for the info.   I'll post results tomorrow

Newtown Square, PA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    If you can, spatchcock the chicken about 12 hours or so before and put it in the fridge on a rack sitting on a tray to dry. Helps the skin crisp up IMHO.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    No, None, either way.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Gator_Man said:
    As you can see it is a wide open subject! I always go indirect because back in the day! when I went direct raised I did not like the taste of the fat burning on the coals. I have done it both ways and indirect is what I like. I don't use any wood for smoke as again poultry will soak up the smoke and the lump adds enough for me and the wife. AS for rubs I haven't tried one I did not like yet but for sure have liked some better than others. I will no longer buy a rub that I can't taste first as I have had to throw away to many that just were not that good. 
    Jim,

Did you ever try logging on with your old handle. You should have had an automatic thing.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Farbuck
    Here's what so I've got so far.    If this tastes 1/2 as good as it looks, it will be phenomenal

Newtown Square, PA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited April 2014
    @Farbuck‌...looks good and corn too. Nicely done for your first one. The skin looks crisp and evenly golden.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Farbuck
    It turned out GREAT!!!
    Thanks to everyone for your input.  This forum is amazing.

Happy Easter, all

Newtown Square, PA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Farbuck said:

It turned out GREAT!!!

Thanks to everyone for your input.  This forum is amazing.

Happy Easter, all

Umm...I don't see anything...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Farbuck
    Here you go - the final product

Newtown Square, PA
  • toolpush
    toolpush Posts: 6
    I likes me some spatchcocked chicken =P~