Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

stuffing

Options
Dimple's Mom
Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi, I need a good stuffing recipe. I want to do it out of the bird, in the oven. I love sourdough and cornbread stuffings, but it's hard to find prepared cornbread cubes, so I guess if I go that route, I have to first make cornbread?[p]I saw the recipe posted below but don't have a meat grinder, so that one is out. :([p]I'm on my way to the store to get my Thanksgiving groceries. I could also use a good cranberry sauce recipe (we usually just buy one and no one actually eats it <g>). This is my first year making everything myself![p]Thanks,
Gwen

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    dimplesmom,
    after making this one last year, its a staple at our house (can't find ciabata bread on the island? . .use french bread or any other crusty loaf instead). .. .[p]Ciabatta Stuffing with Chestnuts and Pancetta
    Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis
    See this recipe on air Friday Nov. 19 at 11:00 AM ET/PT.
    Show: Everyday Italian[p]Episode: Italian Thanskgiving [p]
    6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter
    8 ounces pancetta, cut into 1/4-inch dice
    2 large onions, finely chopped
    2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
    3 celery stalks, finely chopped
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
    3 garlic cloves, chopped
    2 (7.4-ounce) jars roasted peeled whole chestnuts, coarsely broken
    1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
    1 pound day-old ciabatta bread, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
    2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
    1 cup (or more) canned low-salt chicken broth
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 large eggs, beaten to blend
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
    Butter a 15 by 10 by 2-inch glass baking dish. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add the pancetta and saute until crisp and golden, about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pancetta to a large bowl. Melt the remaining butter in the same skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions, carrots, celery, rosemary, and garlic. Saute until the onions are very tender, about 12 minutes. Gently stir in the chestnuts and parsley. Transfer the onion mixture to the large bowl with the pancetta. Add the bread and Parmesan and toss to coat. Add enough broth to the stuffing mixture to moisten. Season the stuffing, to taste, with salt and pepper. Mix in the eggs.
    Transfer the stuffing to the prepared dish. Cover with buttered foil, buttered side down, and bake until the stuffing is heated through, about 30 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until the top is crisp and golden, about 15 minutes longer.[p]

• YankeeBBQ
    Options
    dimplesmom,[p]10 White Castle hamburgers (extra onions), no pickles
    1 1/2 cups celery, diced
    1 1/4 tsp. ground thyme
    1 1/2 tsp. ground sage
    3/4 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
    1/4 cup chicken broth[p]In a large mixing bowl, tear the burgers into pieces and add diced celery and seasonings. Toss and add chicken broth. Toss well. Stuff cavity of turkey just before roasting. Makes about 9 cups (enough for a 10- to 12-pound turkey). Note: Allow 1 hamburger for each pound of turkey, which will be the equivalent of 3/4 cup of stuffing per pound.[p]Submitted by White Castle Management Co. of

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    YankeeBBQ,
    now, why do i think that this would actually taste pretty good?. . .doubt if poor gwen can find a white castle in her part of the world though (they are so deprived out west. .. [p]dang, 'buy em by the bagful!!" . . ..i do love those little steamed suckers. ...

• YankeeBBQ
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]No White Castle here either. I'm thinking of trying it with the frozen ones from the supermarket. I don't know why but this recipe really intrigues me.

• Dimple's Mom
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]We do have ciabatta! We are not totally backwards. <G>[p]I think I will make both! [p]Gwen
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    dimplesmom, Here is my favorite:[p] Julie’s Corn Bread Stuffing
    enough for a large bird

1.5 cups onion, chopped
    1 cup celery, chopped (leaves included)
    1 stick butter
    .5 lb. ground pork sausage with sage included; or add sage to your favorite sausage. (I use Jimmy Dean brand).
    1 cup coarsley chopped mushrooms (I include some shitakes)
    8 cups corn bread, crumbled ( Use 3 boxes Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix or your favorite recipe)
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon freshly ground peppercorns
    1.5 teaspoons poultry seasoning or
    .5 teaspoon thyme
    .5 teaspoon rosemary
    .5 teaspoon nutmeg
    1 cup white wine (or chicken broth)
    1 egg, slightly beaten
    .5 - 1 cup dried cherries or cranberries[p]Sauté onions & celery until just tender and put in large bowl. Cook sausage and mushrooms together. Pour off the grease and add to celery and onion.
    Mix together with the bread crumbs and seasonings. Just before stuffing the bird, moisten mixture with the wine, add the egg & dried fruit and mix well. Stuff the bird (or not!) just before cooking, via the indirect method w a drip pan, on your grill. 13 minutes per pound usually works for me, but have a meat thermometer handy. Cook to 161° in the breast.[p][p][p][p]

• Dimple's Mom
    Options
    YankeeBBQ,[p]I'm going to assume I can get those hamburgers in the frozen section of the supermarket? If not, can I sub in McDonald's? LOL Just kidding - we don't have McDonalds here (thank goodness for that!). I will look and see what they have.[p]If I can find them, or something to sub in, I will make both these and we'll have a stuffing taste-off. Altho I already know the family will say they like the stuff that comes in the box (stovetop) best.[p]Why do I even bother?
    Gwen

• Kelly Keefe
    Options
    YankeeBBQ,
    Just remember the frozen ones don't have pickles! So you'll need to add 'em![p]Kelly (The nearest one is 95 miles East) Keefe
    Jefferson City, MO

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    YankeeBBQ,
    hey, those frozen ones are great. ..no differnt than buying them fresh. . ..and they don't have the pickles so you're set. . ..

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    dimplesmom,
    safeway carries them here. . .do you have a 'cheesecake factory' anywhere close?? . ...they have an appetizer called "roadside sliders" that are very close to whitecastle burgers. . .

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    YankeeBBQ,[p]Me, too. I'd heard of this before, but seeing Scottie's enthusiasm over this yesterday really piqued my interest. I'm cooking stuffing for the gathering I'm attending on Thursday. I have a feeling that most folks in this crowd would be grossed out by the thought of White Castle stuffing. I thought for a few seconds of having them try it first before telling them what it was, but then thought that might be unethical due to the "side effects" White Castle seems to cause in so many people.[p]So, I'll probably wimp out and just experiment on this one with myself before giving it to anyone else.[p]Regarding the cornbread question, yes, you can make it yourself and break it into cubes. There are tons of simple cornbread recipes out there and you should be able to make a batch in 30 minutes end to end including 20 minutes baking time. Or, you can buy it at the store and crumble it yourself.[p]The recipe I use has you browning sausage which you separate out of the casings in a pan, removing it, then adding butter and some onion, mushrooms, celery, sage, salt, and pepper. Cook those until soft (5-10 minutes?) then add some turkey stock (chick stock, broth, whatever) plus the sausage. Cook together for a minute or two, then spread this over the cornbread cubes. Mix together then either stuff your bird and cook or bake in the oven.[p]Yum, yum,
    Cornfed

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Cornfed,
    hey, where you live, don't you have a whitecastle on just about every corner???. .. .you have to try it and report back to the rest of us who have to take a field trip to jersey to enjoy the best thing to ever come out of that state!!!

• Cornfed
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Best thing to ever come out of this state? I'd be hugely offended by your statement if it wasn't...well...true :)[p]Seriously, we do have White Castles on every corner here. I remember the first time I drove to my current job I was instructed to turn right between the KFC and the White Castle. I knew then that this was going to be the right job for me...[p]OK, I'll try this very soon. Not for Thursday, but it might happen this weekend. There's a home Jets game on Sunday night, and I think this might go over good with that crowd...[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• Dimple's Mom
    Options
    J Appledog,[p]Okay, now I want to make this one! Just got back from the grocery store where I forgot to look for the hamburgers, mostly as I couldn't read my writing on my list. :( But I did get a bunch of stuff and have all the ingredients for this one, so maybe will make it. I actually decided to make 3 different stuffings as I couldn't decide which to make. [p]Gwen
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Oh, man, when we moved here, I discovered the Cheesecake Factory and roadside sliders. We LOVE them. That's what I always get when we go there. Fortunately for me, it isn't that close, so I can't overdo it. There is one in Bellevue, about 40 mins, and one in downtown Seattle that we have eaten at. If they ever open one at Alderwood, which is very up and coming in the last year and they just might, I am in big trouble. They opened a Claim Jumper, which is similar and has a similar iten on the menu but they aren't nearly as good the CF's.[p]We don't have a Safeways, but my dh works off the island and could go there on his lunch hour and look tomorrow. Thanks for the tip![p]Gwen
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]What side effects?!?!?!? [p]Gwen
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    This one will make everyone happy, Gwen!
  • crkscrw
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]So, I've been to two local Giant Food Stores here in Fredericksburg over the last few days and dang, if the ciabatta hasn't been sold out each time. I'm going to try one more time tomorrow at noon, and if they don't have any, I'm going to have to go to Plan B. Ahem...any idea what that might be--breadwise--I've got the chestnuts and pancetta so am pretty much committed to something with those ingredients.[p]thanks![p]ciabatta-less in fabulous fred-vegas
  • Cornfed
    Options
    dimplesmom,[p]Gastrointestinal ones, though I can't substantiate that claim with clinical proof. Thing is, anecdotally, I've known so many people with "White Castle rules," and no one with any other food rules.[p]For instance, when my older bro was an undergrad in a 4 person apartment, they had a rule which had him sleeping on the couch whenver he ate White Castle.[p]Another person I know says his wife makes him sleep downstairs whenever he has White Castle.[p]I could go into details, but won't unless you need them lest this get disgusting. I've just always been fascinated to hear so many people who have white castle rules and then zero people who have other fast food rules. It's too small of a sample size to draw conclusive evidence, I guess, but it seems pretty intuitively clear that there's something there...[p]I'm still making this on Sunday...then sleeping alone...[p]Heeee,
    Cornfed

• Dimple's Mom
    Options
    crkscrw,[p]I think you could use any type of french bread. I would look for a foccacia (sp?), a baguette, sourdough, something along those lines. I bet it would not make hardly any difference. I'm very big on substitutions![p]Gwen
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Cornfed,
    holy cow. .. that almost sounds like a stumpbaby story .. .hopefully his back isn't hurting so much they he can't enjoy that one. .. . [p]ROTFLMAO

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    dimplesmom,
    yep, gwen has that exactly right. ..go with french or any other good crusty bread for this recipe. . .it will be fine. ...

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    for the parsely, is the curley stuff ok or do you use the flat. the stores are selling out fast this year and only the curly stuff is there, i dont think ive ever cooked with the curley stuff. 2 italian bakeries and one italian deli, no ciabatta bread so the crusty italian loaf i found will have to do. no butternut squash in the store last night and no fresh turkeys, glad i ordered those from the farm ahead of time

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]Gosh, just makes me want to run right out and try these! NOT. You're a real walking advertisement for them, aren't you? LOL[p]We have a good hamburger chain out here - In N Out Burger. They originated in L.A. and they are scattered in Calif as far north as Redding. There aren't a lot of them, tho. They are still family owned. They are regular-sized burgers, tho, not minis like White Castle.[p]Well, I am not going to make this stuffing for tomorrow but will keep my eyes open for the burgers in the frozen section of stores I visit in the future as I am definitely curious (about the taste and ability to make stuffing - not about the after-effects!).[p]Gwen
  • Kelly Keefe,[p]No pickles... Extra onions...
  • Cornfed,[p]email me your address and I will send you my version that I have at home... I've been experiemtning for a few years with the original version and keep all my notes on it from each cook.. I also like sage (a lot) and have an additional one with lots of sage in it... ;-) I just bought my sack of 20 last night... No pickles, extra onions... Let them dry out a bit in the fridge and will cube them tonight to dry out a bit more... sjohnson@ngelawdotcom
  • YankeeBBQ
    Options
    And the Jets Stink so bad you won't notice the after affects. ;)

• Cornfed
    Options
    YankeeBBQ,[p]Rough crowd![p]But of course, you're also right...[p]Later,
    Cornfed