Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spare or St. Louis style

Ed G.
Ed G. Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was in Costco looking at their ribs today, and noticed they had spare ribs and St. Louis style ribs. Could someone tell me what the difference is and which one is the better of the two.[p]Thanks!

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Ed G., I prefer baby backs - for "All you ever wanted to know" check out the link - about 1/2 way down the page - detailed description of both.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Ed G.,
    All ribs are great. Spares take longer to cook, but are much more reasonably priced than babybacks.
    The meat can be nearly as tender and moist as babybacks, at half the cost (more than half up here).[p]The St Louis style have the real fat end cut off. They are tidier to eat, and easier to cut .
    The full spare ribs are great when you have a bunch of big guys who really like meat.
    The St. Louis style are probably better for all around use. No matter what you buy, ribs are great!!
    Don't forget to try Cat's Juniper Berry/Garlic recipe sometime.[p]Have fun
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • AndyR
    AndyR Posts: 130
    Ed G.,
    The St. Louis cut comes fom a rack of spare ribs. In essence it's a "cleaned up" version of the spare and looks like a meaty version of the baby back. [p]When you lay a rack of spares flat, you'll notice a sort of line that runs along the long axis of the rack about 3/4 of the way off one side. If you grab the rack with the short axis running from you left to right hand, you'll feel a bone running the direction of the long axis in one of your hands. When this is cut off (a couple inches into the rack)is when spares become St. Louis cut. If you can't figure where to cut, just "feel" the rack and determine where the knife will slide the easiest. Or a good butcher will have no problem doing this for you.[p]Don't throw the other peice (I believe this is called the chine bone) away. Cook along with the rack and you can either eat it off the bone or scrape it for sandwich meat. Hope this helps.[p]AndyR

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Ed G.:[p]I prefer Baby backs too, but this link may be of interest to you.

[ul][li]Ribs[/ul]
  • djm5x9
    Ed G.:[p]This link shows St. Louis ribs prior to being trimmed.[p]Needless to say, I just love ribs. Shake has a GREAT sauce too!

[ul][li]Shake's BBQ Shack[/ul]
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    djm5x9 - I guess I forgot the link - same one that I thought I posted :-)
  • djm5x9
    Gordon:[p]My favorite is baby backs also. Maybe one day I will master St. Louis style ribs. Visit that second link to Shake's place. My next life in a small town having a "Q" catering shack . . .

• Nature Boy
    djm5x9,
    Shake's sauce is killer on ribs.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    djm5x9,
    My wife only eats the babybacks. The kids don't care, and I don't rightly care whether it is spares or babybacks.
    Up here spare ribs are $1.49 a pound and under, and babybacks have soared to $2.99 and over. And spares have more meat...but, like JJ's sauce, they like a much longer cook. [p]Q Catering business eh? It is tempting...especially around here where there is very little good Q...the thought has crossed my mind. Tough biz tho.[p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • djm5x9
    JerkRibs2.jpg
    <p />Nature Boy:[p]It really is amazing just how much bad "Q" is out there. You get the "Q" system down pat . . . NO room for error. Then put into place a good marketing plan and you'll get the business.[p]Cannot give my secrets away, because if I remember them after I die and come back for the next life . . . NB, you know about that "next life" stuff, don't you? I will be the "King" of "Q" in Atlanta.[p]By the way, If you make it to Atlanta this fall, are we going to try some squid? I'll take your lead on this as I am your back-up man if you like . . . Bring your CD’s I will supply the player for the cook.[p]Putting up (Foodsavering) some ribs . . . Just sharing the picture.

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    djm5x9,[p]Sorry for jumping in yout thread but I just had to comment on those fine looking ribs you went and done. The eggs look excellent sitting there beside them also. It is late but, you are making me want a midnight snack.

• djm5x9
    Nature Boy:[p]On my second two liter bottle. Time to place another order . . .

• djm5x9
    Bob:[p]You gonna make it this year? Folks were disapointed you were not there last year . . .

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    djm5x9,[p]I am going to have to wait and see. My sone is getting married next month and our schedule is up in the air right now. Don't know if I coming or going lately.

• djm5x9
    DeviledEgg.jpg
    <p />Bob:[p]Something to think about . . .

• Nature Boy
    djm5x9,
    The marketing part I can handle. The rest...we'll see![p]I would like to cook squid at the Eggtoberfest (if I can go)....but don't want to cook multiple items like I did at the Eggtoberfest.. I cooked so much I wasn't hungry!! But the squid is quick....you can help me flip those suckas. Things move quickly at 750. [p]Man....this'll be fun.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com