Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Max Q Buried in another post

Options
Chicago Wine Geek
Chicago Wine Geek Posts: 150
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got the same two questions for Mad "God of all Turkey" Max as the poster who asked this. Max?

mad max beyond eggdome,
When you have the fire established at 325 for about 45 min and you put the turkey on, the temp will drop intially. Do adjust the vents to bring temp back up to 325 or just leave them alone and let temp come back to 325?
With a fresh turkey how long prior to putting on fire to take out of fridge to bring to room temp? Sorry I know you must get tired of answering turkey questions

Comments

• Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    Options
    I don't know how often Max visits the newer forum (www.biggreenegg.net) as opposed to the old one (www.biggreenegg.com) where he usually posts.

I did Max' turkey a little over a month ago. Like most cooks, I just waited for the Egg to come back up to temp. If you have stabilized your temp prior to putting in the meat, it will eventually come back up to that temp, or awfully close to it.

I believe you only take the turkey out of the fridge to do Max's famous ice-bag treatment. Leave it out on the counter while you rest a bag of ice over the breasts. Max says 20 minutes is enough, but based on my one test, I think I'll do 30 to 40 minutes on Thanksgiving. In general, it's a bad idea to leave meat at room temperature too long.

I'll be curious to see if Max posts something much different than my responses.

Good luck!
    Mike