Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Last Night's Pioneer Woman Meatloaf

Options
tkleager
tkleager Posts: 539
edited April 2014 in EggHead Forum
Was totally shot after the last two days.  Had meatloaf planned for Friday night, but got word I could get the big rototiller Friday afternoon to use to till up the new garden area at the house.  Bad part was that I had to have it back to the guy by 8 Sat AM.  So I worked all afternoon and evening to get the 56'x56' area tilled up and ready to move in the raised beds we have built.

Also found out that I could get some more 2x8 lumber from an old corral to use to finish up the rest of the raised beds.  But I had to go and take it down, otherwise the bulldozer was going to get it this next week.  So hooked the trailer back up, and out yesterday AM to tear down as much as I could.  Back home to unload, feed Jr Egghead, get him down for a nap and out to get my grass seed planted at the rental house, and in the back yard before the snow and rain planned for today (Sunday) set in.  Wife went to an auction, and I had to go help her load up all the crap, I mean "wonderful treasures" that she bought, and then back home.

Finally got to make the meatloaf I had been planning all week.  I have done the recipe from The Pioneer Woman before in the over, and it was a hit, so I thought I would try it on the egg.

Ingredients:
Meatloaf:
1 cup Whole Milk
6 slices White Bread
2 pounds Ground Beef
1 cup (heaping) Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
1/4 teaspoon Seasoned Salt
3/4 teaspoons Salt
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1/3 cup Minced Flat-leaf Parsley
4 whole Eggs, Beaten
10 slices Thin/regular Bacon

Sauce:
1-1/2 cup Ketchup
1/3 cup Brown Sugar
1 teaspoon Dry Mustard
Tabasco To Taste

I did change it up a bit with an extra slice of bread as the mixture was VERY wet with just the 6.  Also, I didn't have enough parsley, so I put in what I had.  The glaze was 1/4 cup ketchup, 2 TLBS worcestershire sauce, and 1 TLBS spicy brown mustard.

I also did it in my grill basket for the ease of transport to and from the egg, as well as keeping it together.  I didn't have time to make the bacon weave that I wanted with everything else going on.  In all it turned out pretty good.  1:15 on the egg at 375-400 indirect.  Light smoke flavor, very moist.  Next time I'm thinking about raised direct with the bacon weave so I can turn it and make it a bit crispy on the outside of the bacon.

For some reason I only got the before and after sliced pictures for proof it did happen.  Also a pic of the garden area, and my helpers.

No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
Eggheads Everywhere Map
Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Meatloaf looks great, everything I have tried by the PW has been good.  Enjoy her simple, flavorful, comforting approach.  Some nice lookin' well behaved helpers.  Nice sized lot as well. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• tkleager
    edited April 2014
    Options
    @Focker,

We have enjoyed a lot of meals from PW.  One of my favorite watches off the DVR.  I will admit I also DVR Trisha Yearwood, and The Chew for recipes.  Got one of my best brussel sprout recipes off of The Chew.

The "lot" is actually just short of 6 acres, with two houses, a huge old barn, corrals and 3 acres of farm ground that we currently lease out.  One of the houses we live in, the other is rented out.  The plan someday is to either knock down the rental house, or add on to it and build our "place"  Have a lot of work to get it back to look like the picture from the mid 80's.  The garden is going in the area behind the garage.  Chicken coop got knocked down before we got the place last year, but plan on doing a new one for never ending Spatchcock and eggs.

Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    drinking game: watch PWs show, every time she uses a stick of butter or brick of cream cheese take a drink. It'll get you drunk.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Like we need a tv show. ..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Would be one long ass bleep if this forum had a tv show.

Little Rock, AR

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Eggheadforum TV FTW!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • tkleager
    Options
    Who would host?  There is such a cast of characters it might be hard to pick just one.  PBR as a sponsor?
    Eggheads Everywhere Map