Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first beer butt chicken

Options
CDC
CDC Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
1beerbuttchik.jpg
<p />Hello Everyone[p]Did my first beer butt chicken. What an incredible result. I wanted to make this one for quite a while. Worked out that my wife and mother-n-law were going away sat, so my father-n-law and I planned on fending for ourselves. Unfortunately, the store didn’t have whole chickens Friday night. I got a cut up whole chicken and used the "Tasty Grilled Chicken" recipe from the BGE pages (few substitutions from lack of ingredients). Marinated over night. Next day, the women go away, father-n-law and I grill up the chicken. All I can say is "Oh My GOD". What incredible chicken! We ate the whole thing. A few minutes later Dad looks over and says, "Want to do another one?" I gave him a grin, Of coarse I did. We went to town and found a whole chicken and used nearly the same recipe, spiced it up with red pepper and took the skin off. In no time we had it on the grill. It took about 1hr 20 min and 180° (best guess on what temp to use, decided off the top of our heads). The pic is how it turned out. I couldn’t believe that it was juicer than the first one! I’ll definitely make this one again and again![p]Just wanted to share another successes story and some enthusiasm. Hope the pic works, think i figured it out.

Comments

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    CDC,[p] Well I must say, that bird looks like it could make for some good eating. at the same time, it sure looks ugly
    with that can and all. Hee Hee.
    Thanks for the picture & glad things turned out so good.[p] Earl

• CDC,
    Just curious - what temp did you use?
    Jerry

• CDC
    CDC Posts: 13
    Options
    Jerry,[p]You would have to ask it was either 225 or 325. I’m leaning towards 325. It think it would have taken longer than it did at 225. We relied on the thermometer to tell when it was done, and I’m not too sure that 180° internal wasn’t over doing it. I let my father-n-law talk me into 180°. I should look the temp for chicken to be cooked at.[p]How embarrassing, This really shows my cooking skill here. Can’t remember what temp I used. The BGE made another miracle for me.[p]I’m glad someone had a chance to see what I made, kinda proud of it! Wish you could have tasted it too.