Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - wifi garage door or sprinkler system controllers?

caliking
caliking Posts: 18,727
Has anyone installed a wifi controller for their garage door opener or sprinkler system? I recently installed wifi thermostats at home and am looking to "smartify" some other operations.

The RainMachine looks promising for the sprinkler system, but was wondering if anyone has installed something else and how they like it.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I just installed a wifi thermostat last week.  Love it.
    While it's not truly "wifi", the wireless garage door opener hooked to my visor works pretty well.

As long as I remember to push the button
    ;)
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I can see a WiFi enabled thermostat and sprinkler system, but not sure I get garage door opener? Button inside the door and remote in the cars works for us. Am I missing an application here? I'm a total gadget geek and if there's a reason I might consider.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • caliking
    @DMW - When I've driven about 2 blocks from my house, I'm invariably plagued by the doubt that I didn't close my garage door. Also, if I've been working outside in the evening, I often forget whether I closed it or not. With wifi control, I could check on my phone or from any computer and close it if necessary. Another advantage would be that  you can open and close the garage door if anyone is making a delivery that you don't want left outside. 

@nolaegghead - I think I installed the one you have  - Honeywell 9580wf? Took a little finagling to install it correctly, but I already love it. 

• caliking
    While it's not truly "wifi", the wireless garage door opener hooked to my visor works pretty well.

As long as I remember to push the button
    ;)
    And therein lies my problem!

• DMW
    Hmmm...is there an app to auto-close the garage door at specified time every night? Our garage door has been open overnight on more than one occasion...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Have you checked with your cable provider? I am barraged by Comcast/Xfinity ads for whole home crap like security/light control/garage etc.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    edited April 2014
    The garage door opener is one I'd be on board for completely. 3/5 days a week I drive back by to make sure it's closed. My wife says it's the onset of OCD. :/
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • caliking
    @DMW - dont know about that but I think you can set alerts on some that email/text if the garage is open at specific time. Example, you get a message anytime the garage is open at 10 pm.

• DMW
    Have you checked with your cable provider? I am barraged by Comcast/Xfinity ads for whole home crap like security/light control/garage etc.
    All for one low monthly price. :))
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• caliking
    @Eggcelsior I'll check but I think most are subscription type services. Figured it would be cheaper to just buy and install myself.

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Go ahead and install those wifi door locks, security systems and garage door openers.  It will make it easier for someone with my skill set to walk right in... And you think I am kidding????
  • Jeremiah
    Aaaaannnnnnddd that's what's been holding me back.
    onedbguru said:

Go ahead and install those wifi door locks, security systems and garage door openers.  It will make it easier for someone with my skill set to walk right in... And you think I am kidding????

• onedbguru
    I am CISSP (Certified Information Systems Security Professional) - The ease with which an intrusion could occur would truly make your hair stand up.
  • BREWnQ
    BREWnQ Posts: 219
    It's probably simpler to buy a lock pick set, watch a youtube video and break into your house.
    Brewer, BBQer, Softballer, RCer, Father, HomeTheaterer, and trouble maker.
    Orange, CA
  • onedbguru
    except that with the wifi you can disable that pesky alarm system. What wifi can't tell is if the homeowner is armed... Oh wait, in NY/NJ you can because they gave to gun-owners list to the media... 
  • caliking
    Ummmm... What makes you think that it is difficult for someone WITHOUT your skill set to break in? Unless you have solid steel doors, bars on your windows, and an armed perimeter.

Besides, I'm not looking for locks etc. Feel free to use your superpowers to screw with my air conditioning in the meantime.

• Jeremiah
    I think he was talking about door lock and garage door openers being controlled by wifi. Is only want my garage door to be controlled wirelessly but still that's worrisome too.
  •  
    caliking said:
    Ummmm... What makes you think that it is difficult for someone WITHOUT your skill set to break in? Unless you have solid steel doors, bars on your windows, and an armed perimeter. Besides, I'm not looking for locks etc. Feel free to use your superpowers to screw with my air conditioning in the meantime.

I would just leave your garage door open and take your lump coal
    :P

Lg Egg - Asheville, NC
  • This is what I did for the garage door. http://www.megunolink.com/garage-door-opener/  Works great. I had to run CAT 5 to it since it's not wireless but a fun DIY project. In  a few weeks however, I'll be forced to come up with a new solution since I'm moving. I also will be leaving behind a NEST thermostat system that didn't function very well in my home with the Geothermal WaterFurnace but was told by NEST that they are working on a firmware update that would have addressed the issue that we had.
    Lg Egg - Asheville, NC
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Can you not see what is happening on the forum...nobody gives a **** about your remote control crap....@Caliking, love you man.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Well, you did post OT in the subject but didn't put it in the OT forum.... I doth protest, esquire!
    @caliking and @Jeremiah I am the same way about the garage door. 

I can't count how many times I have gone back home to make sure I let it down. I think it may be a form of OCD! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • caliking
    henapple said:
    Can you not see what is happening on the forum...nobody gives a **** about your remote control crap....@Caliking, love you man.
    i wish i had wifi control over drinking your PBR... all of it.  :ar!

• caliking
    Well, you did post OT in the subject but didn't put it in the OT forum.... I doth protest, esquire!
    guilty as charged. I figured the OT in the title was adequate warning!

• Eggcelsior
    What guru said is what's holding me back too. You'll be bending over for the cable company but it is at least a unified system being monitored(as far as they say).
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    onedbguru said:
    How would someone know I had a wifi system? 

onedbguru said:
    except that with the wifi you can disable that pesky alarm system. What wifi can't tell is if the homeowner is armed... Oh wait, in NY/NJ you can because they gave to gun-owners list to the media... 
    I am in Georgia and you better believe most of us, at least where I am at, are packing heat. An intruder might walk in, but if I am at home and have anything to say about it, it will be time for sad songs and slow walks for his family. 

• Eggcelsior
    Uhh, pull up out front and use a triangulation app to identify your Wifi. It's actually pretty simple as long as you aren't in high density housing.

Monitor lock/unlock sequences, door openings, etc to see when no one is home. Done and done.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Uhh, Thanks.

• Eggcelsior
    No problem. Technology advancement is a boon and a curse at the same time. Just look at the heartbleed bug. It was basically a poorly written line of code.