Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crispy Turkey Skin ?

BobbyG
BobbyG Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey gang,[p]I've cooked eggcellent Turkeys for the last four years and this year I'd like to get my skin perfected. [p]Who has the best method for Crisping the skin and still coming out with a perfect turkey?[p]Thanks,
BobbyG

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    BobbyG,
    Try letting the bird sit uncovered in the fridge the night before you cook it.

• BobbyG,[p]Make sure you dry the skin well and then rub olive oil on it before you put it in the egg.[p]Mike
  • BobbyG,
    Hey Bud! The other day I did Mad Max Turkey for the kids T-Day Fest and got rave reviews. All I did was to rinse the bird, pat it dry inside & out, sit it the fridge uncovered for an hour (actually closer to two hours cause I was in the middle of some other stuff), THEN put the apple, onion lemon & seasonings in the cavity, rubbed the entire bird with butter & poultry seasoning and put it on the egg (indirect of course) at 325 and let it go. I had some white wine, a tablespoon of butter/lard and some chopped onions on the bottom of the drip pan. Never basted or messed with it and the skin was crisp and had great color. The stuff in the boittom of the drip pan went to make a great base for turkey pot pies. I didn't need it for gravy on this one. [p]Have a good Turkey Day! Joe

• BobbyG,[p]I have read several places and I guess some of you here agree that letting it sit in the fridge uncovered results in crispy skin. I'm going to try that this year.[p]Gwen
  • Why1504
    Why1504 Posts: 277
    BobbyG,[p]Separate the skin from the bird over the brest by running you hand under the skin, cover with melted butter, place in hot egg (400) for 30-60 min then drop the temp down to cooking level. You can the take cheese cloth saturated with butter and place over the breast to maintain moisture. and the crank the temp back up at the end w/out the cheee cloth.
  • BobbyG,[p]If you have the time, place the turkey in the fridge uncovered for at least 12 hours and this will help dry out the skin. On cooking day, don't oil or butter up the skin again as this will work against you as you are trying to get the skin crisp and there is no way you can get this by putting more oil or butter on the turkey which will wet down the skin again and is not what you need for a great crispy skin. [p]Dave

• BobbyG
    Smokin Joe,
    Angie told me your turkey was awesome, sorry that I missed it. I'll brine and dry as usual...maybe I should use butter instead of olive oil?[p]Thanks buddy!
    BobbyG

• BobbyG
    Old Dave,
    Well I'll have to think on this one a little. So it seems like butter helps to brown but not crisp. I normally have an uncovered "sit" in the frig to help dry the skin but it has been my experience that this alone is not getting my skin cripsy. maybe I'll go with no oil/butter this year? Decisions, decisions...
    Thanks,
    BobbyG