Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mad Max Turkey Setup

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I plan on using the Mad Max setup for our Thanksgiving turkey. I have a medium egg so space is limited. I found that the plate setter and vrack were too much, and lid wouldn't close. So, I am going to put roasting pan directly on inverted setter with green feet.[p]My question is.... Do I need to have something between the turkey and the roasting pan, or can it be placed directly in the pan?[p]

Comments

• rayl,[p]Yes, you should have a rack between the bird and pan. There are racks available that are only about 1/2 inch high. Safeway (Von's) has one that folds flat. My GF just got one the other day.[p]Since it's so close the the big day, I'd see if you ca find one in the gadget section of your local grocery.
  • rayl,
    like babyboombbq said. . .. if all else fails, buy a throw-away pie pan, poke some holes in it, turn it upside down in your roasting pan and put the bird on top of it. . .it will have the same affect as the trivet thing i use. ...

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    IMG_0756.jpg
    <p />rayl,
    Not sure just who to thank for this but three 1/2" copper elbows at $.18 each make handy dandy spacers.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • mad max beyond eggdome,
    When you have the fire established at 325 for about 45 min and you put the turkey on, the temp will drop intially. Do adjust the vents to bring temp back up to 325 or just leave them alone and let temp come back to 325? [p]With a fresh turkey how long prior to putting on fire to take out of fridge to bring to room temp? Sorry I know you must get tired of answering turkey questions ;)

• RRP,
    This is a great idea, but I wouldn't put meat directly onto the copper and heat it for fear of copper toxicity. (Correct me if I am wrong)

• kk, You put the turkey into a roaster and set the roaster on the copper fittings to leave an airspace so the roaster doesn't get too hot and burn the dripping from the bird. No contact between bird and copper. Just FYI. Mik

• aturco
    aturco Posts: 55
    If using the method shown in the Mad Max Directions, the inverted place setter with the green feet and placed on that the roasting pan w/ the bird in a V-Rack should be okay...right? I guess you can put an inverted pie pan or the copper fittings under the roasting pan but it is the same thing as using the green feet it sounds like. Confirm? 
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    The green feet work great as a spacer.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)