Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lost the fire

Options
Had a pork butt up to 174 before I left to watch the Masters at a favorite watering hole. Tried to get it to ride out but the fire died - restarting was way too much to ask of SWMBO. Got home to 135 and the wife had the oven at 250. Temp got down to 129-butt is in the oven and climbing again but am I still OK? From what I've read I should be fine, but I planning on pulling this and giving it to some friends in situations that can use some easy food, so the last thing I want to do is make them all deathly ill. Thoughts?
It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'

Comments

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    The rule of thumb is 4 hours at 140 or below can be a problem.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • SenecaTheYounger
    SenecaTheYounger Posts: 368
    edited April 2014
    Options
    You are fine.

You already pasteurized the meat.  I don't know how you could have had the internal temperature reach 174, and then somehow the fact that it dropped under 130 means some magical bacteria got inside to infect it.

To begin with, there bacteria we need to worry about is on the meat, not in the meat.  And yours are long dead.

Unless your wife coughed and sneezed on it, while handling it with gloveless unwashed hands following a bathroom visit to deal with diarrhea brought about by food poisoning she contracted from a strain of virulent bacteria.

In other words: no issue.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Gotta ask. ..type of lump?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    Just curious here OK? How much lump did you start with and what size egg? Brand of lump does come into play but quantity is just as important for long cooks.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Dragonwmatches
    Dragonwmatches Posts: 221
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Cowboy lump, but this is more of a user error exacerbated by trying too hard to get to the bar to watch the Masters with some buddies. I initially was going for turbo to be FTC'd before I left, buuuutttttt it took a little too long so I knocked the heat down over a couple hours and left it at 195grid/250dome thinking I'd finish it low and slow. Not long after I left, it clearly just got choked off. I tried too much so I don't blame the lump so much-the lump actually looked pretty good and had a nice even circle of burn when I finally looked inside. For some reason I tried one fire starter in the middle this time rather than my usual break one in half and light two spots, so that may have helped this out if I'd done it as usual. I work for a software company, and we call it an ID ten tee error ( ID10T ). Oh: large egg, and plenty of lump.
    It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'
  • SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    It happens. Sounds like center burn, straight down and then snuffs itself. Maybe one in twenty slow cooks

Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I doubt the lump had anything to do with it. On a l&s I usually clean everything out, a few larger pieces in the bottom and dump. Before I light I take my hand and shake the lump so it's not "stacked".
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN