Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some veggie recipes

I needs some veggie recipes as side dishes for possible upcoming cooks. I have only been successful with corn on the cob and potatoes. I have tried putting vegetables (carrots, cauliflower, green beans (btw worst veggie of all time) brocolli, zuchinni) in a veggie pan mad cooked with or without a rub like tsunami spin or ragin river and they never come out good. Always dry and smokey or just like the rub or over rubbed flavor and I only use a touch. Maybe I need a new rub for veggies? But even with no rub they usually end up in the trash. Do you just grill the veggies or put them in some liquid/ sauce to make them edible?

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    edited April 2014
    I like veggie kabobs. Peppers, onions, Cherry tomatoes, zucchini, squash, carrots, etc. Whatever you like... I typically just do them raised direct at 350° or so. Dust with whatever rub I'm in the mood for, and typically no wood. Of course you can add chicken, shrimp, or beef and have a meal on a stick.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Personally I use canola oil with salt n pepper. If I cook direct I use foil. Indirect I lay them out on sheet pan.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• I usually just use a little s&p and a little evoo. I've done them directly on the grill but, more recently have started using small aluminum pans. If I want a little additional flavor I'll add a dash or two of Tabasco Jalapeno sauce when I serve them but, I also enjoy them with noting more than what I've added to cook them.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Foil pouch your veggies! Rough chop toss with a little oil or add some pats of butter simple S & P or your favorite rub. Place in a pouch of HDAF and toss on the grill.

I have done this to roast potatoes they take about 40 minutes at 400, zucchini, onions, peppers, etc. I have not tried this method with broccoli so your mileage may vary. Flip the pouch about 1/2 through the cook time.

If you are doing a spatchcock bird indirect place a pan with vegetables under the bird, as the vegetables roasts they are basted with the drippings from the bird. Yumm!!

Get a wok and stir-fry your veg. Casseroles just don't exceed the temp of your cooking vessel.

Good luck!
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited April 2014
    Do you like asparagus?  If so...nothing to it.  I use a little olive oil and salt and pepper, then grill it pretty quick.  

+1 on @Dmurf 's suggestion for veggies under chicken.  Potatoes, zuchini, onions, mushrooms, peppers.  I start with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, and some herbs (usually just an italian seasoning blend).  If I have garlic I will mince some and add that as well. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited April 2014
    Here are 38,000+ veggie recipes. :)  http://foodgawker.com/page/2/?s=vegetables

One of my favorites is peas with sautéed shallots. Sauté the shallots in evoo, then add frozen peas (thawed) and a little water. When done, s&p and a squirt of fresh lemon juice.

Francis Mallmann burnt tomatoes. Also burnt carrots. Both delicious.

You won't believe how good the tomatoes are!

Garlic and rosemary potatoes. Cut potatoes into bite size and put into a CI pan. Add a few unpeeled garlic cloves, some chopped fresh rosemary, evoo and s&p. Toss to coat. 425°, about 30 minutes. Indirect. 

Saved the best for last... Green beans!! haha You can cook the beans in advance so that it only takes a couple of minutes in the butter/thyme mix.

Put the beans in boiling water for 4-8 minutes depending on the size/tenderness of the bean. Shock them in ice water and set aside until dinner time. Sauté thyme in unsalted butter for a few minutes to flavor the butter. Add the beans, salt and pepper, toss to coat, heat and eat. Not as good as my mom's cooked for hours in bacon fat and water, but much quicker and healthier. :)

Hope some of these work for you!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    edited April 2014
    I have done potatoes wih success and potato pouches ( red potatoes, butter, garlic powder, onion powder, basil and dill) cooked for ~45 min.

It's the other veggies that come out weird tasting. They come out better steamed in the house or in a frying pan. Maybe it's the baked texture it don't like? But broccoli baked wih cheese is good. But broccoli tossed in a veggie pan and put in the egg I don't like. Dried out and bland flavor.

Trying to get more veggies in and we don't eat allot I them.

I like carrots, potatoes broccoli/cauliflower, asparagus, corn, okra but I wi try some new ones.

Wife likes ednanmes, green beans, potatoes, carrots, corn and that's about it. Will not vary from this so I am limited in what I can make.

Will start no/low carb again in a few weeks and need all the help I can get.

Thanks for that link I will look through them.

Maybe I should have stated. Veggie recipes for the egg.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    As for cooking under a spatchcock chicken. I cook my spatchcocks at 400 raised direct for ~1 hour and most times some pecan chips. Now if I put a pan of veggies under that won that one burn the veggies without stirring every few minuets? And two making the spatchcock an indirect cook instead takin longer to cook?

Garnerville, NY
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    edited April 2014
    Mushrooms, squash (yellow and green), jicama, green, red and yellow bell peppers are good low carb choices and great on the grill. Cook the mushrooms in boiling water for a about 10 secs and they won't split if you skewer them. Lemon juice and olive oil are good seasonings.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • we cook spatchcock indirect now b/c we always put the veggies under the chicken. just make sure you don't put them directly on the platesetter or whatever you're using for indirect. need some airflow between the veggies. i use plate setter, grid w/ veggies, and then the grid extender where the chicken goes. season with just salt and pepper and they're glorious. yes, times take longer, i usually shoot for 300-350 and go until done, typically couple hrs give or take.
  • robnybbq
    So spatch raised indirect -2 hours? Trying to plan dinner tonight but got got about an hour to hour and a half cook time today. Maybe a steak instead tonight

Garnerville, NY
  • my arrogant opinion 1.5 hrs should work. most go 375-400 it seems for temps, i just go a little lower. why? no idea, i guess b/c i can. but i think you'll be fine at 1.5 hrs. for whatever reason, my food just seems to take a bit longer than most say. maybe the altitude i'm at. i'm sure some of the more sciencey folk can speak to that...
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    W. the exception of corn and squashes, I've had the best results from root vegetables. I started w. the classic "hobo packet." Foiled potatoes, onions, and carrots, some garlic, S & P and oil or butter. Cook direct until there is the sound of sizzling oil. Poke holes in the foil to let steam out, and continue so that the bottoms of the veggies get brown.top

Have since done beets, turnips, rutabagas, sweet taters, fennel bulb (didn't like), parsley root and parsnip. All turned out pretty well w. no more than salt S&P and oil.

Lots of people like grilled romaine halves. Can't say my attempts were very good. But the process also includes the standard oil w. S&P.

All of the squashes I've tried turned out good. Cut into wedges and oiled, the simplest way, they are pretty good. Cut into portions that can hold stuffing or just a pool of butter and honey, all were very edible if cooked to at least 205 internal.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    @robnybbq I'm with you on broccoli in a veggie pan on the egg, not my favorite. Try a pan of onion, bell peppers, zucchini slices with a little EVOO, S&P.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    robnybbq said:
    Maybe I should have stated. Veggie recipes for the egg.
    My view is, you can cook any recipe for any thing on the egg. Don't see the point for a some veggies (boiling green beans for instance), but  you could certainly do it. Look thru some of the 38K, find a couple that look tasty and figure out how to do them on the egg. Or cook your chicken, fish, beef on the egg and do the veggies in the kitchen... good healthy food is good healthy food - regardless of where you cook it. 

Roasted whole beets brushed with olive oil and s&p are hard to beat on the egg though.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Gator_Man
    Gator_Man Posts: 138

Take a sweet onion and slice thick 1/2" to 3/4" stick some tooth picks into the side of the slices to keep them together, soak in Italian salad dressing for an hour or so. Place the slices direct on the grill at 350 temp, flip when they get some nice grill marks, baste with the Italian dressing when ya flip them. My wife like hers with a little char and I don't so I pull mine first. My one son will take a whole onion and cut a V out of the top and put a piece of butter and a bouillon cube in it wrap in foil and then direct until tender. I have also done zucchini and yellow squash with the Italian dressing thick slices 1/2" or more just do same as onion. I also spray Asparagus with olive oil, salt & pepper or any rub you like and grill direct 350 until just a little tender.

Hope this helps, Gator Man

I'm from North Carolina summer and Okeechobee Florida winter.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

• DMW
    @robnybbq‌ Here's my dinner tonight. Onion, mushroom, orange bell pepper, and yellow squash. Tossed with EVOO/Salt/Pepper. Will go direct around 450*, tossing occasionally till the tenderness I want. I would have added zucchini, but the selection at WM was nasty. Just pick veggies you like and give it a try. Also, no smoke wood, just lump.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DMW
    Forgot the pic.image
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• DMW
    And here it is done. And the pic of all the leftovers I have to put away. Normally this is a side dish, but the past few days have been full of BBQ and steak for me and I needed to cut back. And I don't feel like I'm missing a thing.imageimage
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Do you like Indian?

Steve 

Caledon, ON