Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza stone

My sister just gave me a 14.5" pizza stone from JoeDough. The instruction talks about pre-heating stone 475 to 550, I cook pizza at 600 - 650. I've heard alot of stones will break at egg temps, anyone have experience with this brand. Thanks.

Comments

• lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    That is true.  Most pizza stones that are made for kitchen use will not hold up under the higher temps of the egg.  The BGE pizza stones are designed to be more durable under higher temps.  I recently bought the 22" pizza stone for the XL BGE and that this is about an inch thick and weighs a ton. That being said, someone gave me a pizza stone that was the brand "Super Stone".  Since it didn't cost me anything, I used it on my XL egg to do pizzas for almost 2 years before it broke in half from the heat.  I have never heard of the JoeDough brand so I couldn't say how it would do.  But if it was a freebee, you could just go for it and see what happens.

Living Large and XL

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited April 2014
    How thick is it? Comparable to BGE stone? Only pizza stone I would not recommend on BGE is Pampered Chef because they are known for cracking &/or shattering at high temps. If yours is close to BGE thickness you should be fine. Key is preheat along with p.s. etc and let cool naturally and if you absolutely have to cool stone to avoid burning bottom of pie a damp (not saturated) cloth with a quick swipe works fine.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • It's 7/8" thick but does not seem to weigh that much (7-9 LBS), I can see a honeycomb structure under the ceramic.
  • demo
    demo Posts: 163
    I usually cook my pizzas at 500 degrees.  They take about 8 minutes.  If I'm doing more than one pie, I let the stone heat back up for about 10 min. before I put the next one on the egg.