Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

bread baking

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have experience baking loaves of bread in the BGE?

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    R&R,
    Old Dave is a past master at baking; I'm sure he'll be along right soon. [p]In the meantime, what's your question?[p]Ken

• smokeydrew
    Options
    R&R,[p]It's been my new hobby for a couple of weeks now. I've done cake, pumpkin bread, white bread, wheat bread, potato bread, tortillas, and cookies. The egg bakes so well I'm going to buy a kitchenaid mixer this week just for baking on the egg.[p]-smokeydrew
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    Umm, I think Old Dave is the Past, Current and Future Master of Baking.....[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    bnb02.jpg
    <p />R&R,
    Finally started. Now I'm addicted.
    Banana Nut Bread.[p]
    Mike

• Car Wash Mike,
    What is the advantage of baking in the BGE?

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    me,
    I don't like raw dough.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Agreed. I hope he will post the link to one of his older posts that shows about 15 kinds of breads. I just got a copy of "New Complete Book of Breads" and have several types picked out to try.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    BreadontheRidge.jpg
    <p />R&R,
    Love baking bread on the egg.

• BlueSmoke,
    I'd like some tricks and tips like use of the eggcetera, maintaining high temps. There must be some fire management stuff I'm not doing because I can't keep the temp up to 550 degrees. (We made about six pizzas starting out at 550 and ended up at 400 & running out of charcoal. We had an eggcetera and pizza stone. So I was wondering about keeping the egg hot for bread baking.)

• egret,
    Beautiful bread. What temperature did you cook it at? Any tips on keeping the egg hot? Love that great rise on the bread. Did you get lots of oven spring? It sure looks it on that round.

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    R&R,
    One of the reasons I bought the egg was to use it as a bread oven. Monday or Tuesday, the sourdough gods willing, I'm baking bread.
    Clay[p] [p]

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    egret,
    Where do you live, what a nice view. -RP

• thirdeye,[p]You will love that book and there are many recipes in there that are very good.[p]One of my bread posts with pictures can be found at the link.[p]Dave

[ul][li]Bread Pictures[/ul]
  • egret,[p]Your bread looks wonderful and the view is spectacular. I can just imagine myself out on that deck early in the morning with a cup of coffee and about a pound of butter and cutting into that great looking pan bread. I could make a meal out of it! Your hearth bread looks great as well and it is nice to see folks baking on the small Egg.[p]Nice job,[p]Dave

• me,[p]I am not Car Wash Mike but I would like to try to answer your question. A clean burning lump fire in the Egg can give your baking a nice very light wood smoke flavor in anything you might have in there. It is like you would find in a quality bread store where they really bake over wood and not use liquid smoke in their dough or batter. Bread with just a hint of smoke flavor might be the best you have ever tasted. A person just needs to try it to see if they like it. Be sure you have a clean burning fire with all fresh lump and I think you would be happy with your results. [p]Dave

• egret
    Options
    Thanks, Dave. Much appreciated, especially from the great master himself.....

• egret
    Options
    AZRP,
    Thank you. NE Georgia, one mile south of the NC border.....

• egret
    Options
    R&R,
    I shoot for 375-400 degrees. No trouble keeping the egg hot for the 30 minutes or so. I do put all the ceramics (plate setter, pizza stone) in right after starting the fire. It usually takes about 45 minutes to get stabilized with everything up to temp. and a clean fire going. The round does give a good bit of 'pop' after putting it in the egg. The first time I did it, it rose up so much the thermometer was puncturing the loaf. Luckily, I realized the problem before trying to crank up the heat to compensate for the sudden loss of dome temp.

• R&R,[p]Most all breads are baked around 325 to 400 degrees and with a full firebox of clean lump, you should be able to maintain this temp for 5-6 hours on your bread baking day. Be very careful about trying to fill the lump very far up into the fire ring as this defeats the purpose of this ring to protect the sides of the cooker from the fire. [p]As for fire management,the 300-400 temp range is the very easiest to maintain in the cooker.[p]Dave

• Old Dave,
    OK. Thanks to you and all the other posts. Will give it a try. Tell me what you think about getting the egg up to 500+ then shutting the vents/dampers and insulating the dome? This is to get the temp to stay high and preserve the heat in the ceramic mass of the plate setter and pizza stone. Should I try it?

• R&R,[p]I guess I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish with the cooker. What type of bread do you need to bake over 500 or more degrees?? What kind of problems are you having where the cooker isn't running hot enough?? Let me know and maybe between the two of us we can work out something that would work for your application. [p]Dave

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    R&R,[p]If you don't mind me chiming in, when I'm baking an artisan bread formula in the Egg I will bring the dome temp up to 600F and then shut the air down. The boule size is at least a 1 lb. loaf, and the bake time is anywhere from 28 min. to 45 min. for a fully baked loaf(approx. 200F internal).[p]So with that said, if you have a formula that thrives with a high heat bake, go for it.[p]Puj