Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket help

Options
2»

Comments

• Coach292
    Coach292 Posts: 39
    Options
    After a few hours the meat will not take in anymore smoke. I've had similar problems before. Just wrap in foil and open the vents up on the egg or put it in the oven. This process has saved me a few times with brisket and butts.
  • coffeeguydenton
    Options
    Coach292 said:
    After a few hours the meat will not take in anymore smoke. I've had similar problems before. Just wrap in foil and open the vents up on the egg or put it in the oven. This process has saved me a few times with brisket and butts.
    Yeah, we considered doing that earlier.  I wanted to spare the bark if possible.  When I came out of the first stall I thought I was going to make it with time to spare, but I hit a second stall.  It was too late by the time I realized what had happened.
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options

cazzy said:

Next time...let us know if you're in trouble. Cen and I could have helped. You were at 181 at 3pm so there was time.

Oh well, leave it whole and you'll have good eats all week!

I didn't really have an option.  It was for a church group that starts at 4 and we eat at 6, so I couldn't really make any changes at that point.  Didn't realize I was in a second stall until it was too late.  But thank you for your help.  Egging is like life.  Every cook is either a success or a lesson learned.  Either way, each cook makes us better.

I love your outlook! You're going to make out to be a might fine egghead!

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • coffeeguydenton
    coffeeguydenton Posts: 138
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Pulled out after 2 hours FTC and cut myself a little midnight snack.

Didn't get much of a smoke ring, but the flavor is there.
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    It's always better to finish early rather than late.  I'll crank briskets up to 350-400 if I need to accelerate the cook.
    Options
    Looks good
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    edited March 2014
    Options
    cazzy said:

Next time...let us know if you're in trouble. Cen and I could have helped. You were at 181 at 3pm so there was time.

Oh well, leave it whole and you'll have good eats all week!

Curious as to what help you would have given at the second stall? Higher temp?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos