Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Ribs Mix Up

Options
Did turbo bb ribs yesterday. 2 hrs at 350 dome indirect. Meat came out well, but the bottom of the ribs got pretty charred up. The meat was good excluding this obvious problem. Should I have flipped them? Seems strange that that much heat would come off the plate setter. Top of ribs was ok, not burnt, but definitely not as good as low n slow...

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I always start bone side down and then flip after 1 hour, but for yours to have charred based on what you said I wonder if your dome thermometer is out of calibration.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    RRP said:
    I wonder if your dome thermometer is out of calibration.
    That'd be my guess too...unless your rub is pure white sugar...or you forgot to put the plate setter in, or drippings on the plate setter caught fire and so you weren't 350 or indirect.  Did you have any sort of drip pan?
  • Dcgriller
    Dcgriller Posts: 15
    Options
    No drip pan...never used a drip pan before in the egg. Is that recommended for turbo? Asa. Side note, I've done turbo butts without this issue. Guess I need to check my thermometer.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I'm with @njl, I'll bet at some point you had a small fire on your platsetter.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Options
    Above are all good thoughts..I also flip after 1 hour.
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I haven't been using a drip pan much recently...but the amount of charring you have there has me reconsidering.  I might to back to putting something in the center of the plate setter (to create a high point) and then foiling it, in the hopes that any drippings will roll off into the fire down below.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    njl said:
    I haven't been using a drip pan much recently...but the amount of charring you have there has me reconsidering.  I might to back to putting something in the center of the plate setter (to create a high point) and then foiling it, in the hopes that any drippings will roll off into the fire down below.
    Not a bad idea - I achieve the same run off effect as my table sits on my rear deck which has about a 2" drop in 10'. It's just gradual enough that liquified fat will run off instead of pool.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.