Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eating places in Tucson

jrb06
jrb06 Posts: 52
Heading to Tucson this weekend any good places or recommendations for restaurants. Wide open for suggestions. 

Comments

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    I lived in Tucson until 2007 and have wanted to take a food vacation back there ever since.

Above all, make reservations at a place called Cafe Poca Cosa. The owner changes the small menu daily, and it's based on items she purchases that day at farmers markets. The menu normally has two beef dishes, two chicken dishes and two vegetarian dishes (typically tamales). If you get the Poca plate, which I suggest, you'll get a sampling of one beef, one chicken and one vegetarian dish. The best thing I've ever eaten there was a tamale with roasted beet purée. I hated beets all my life until that moment. Lunch prices are about half of what you'll spend at dinner, but the portions are still great. Either way, that place is awesome.

Other Tucson winners:
    1. El Guero Canelo (Sonoran hot dogs)
    2. Eegee's. Don't get the food. Get an Eegee, which essentially is a real fruit icee.
    3. In N Out burger. Maybe you've had one. It's the farthest east you can travel and still get a double double. I recommend adding a strawberry shake.

Jesus now I know why I gained 15 lbs while there

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    SaltySam said:
    I lived in Tucson until 2007 and have wanted to take a food vacation back there ever since. Above all, make reservations at a place called Cafe Poca Cosa. The owner changes the small menu daily, and it's based on items she purchases that day at farmers markets. The menu normally has two beef dishes, two chicken dishes and two vegetarian dishes (typically tamales). If you get the Poca plate, which I suggest, you'll get a sampling of one beef, one chicken and one vegetarian dish. The best thing I've ever eaten there was a tamale with roasted beet purée. I hated beets all my life until that moment. Lunch prices are about half of what you'll spend at dinner, but the portions are still great. Either way, that place is awesome. Other Tucson winners: 1. El Guero Canelo (Sonoran hot dogs) 2. Eegee's. Don't get the food. Get an Eegee, which essentially is a real fruit icee. 3. In N Out burger. Maybe you've had one. It's the farthest east you can travel and still get a double double. I recommend adding a strawberry shake. Jesus now I know why I gained 15 lbs while there
    Good news! I was able to get an Animal Style Double Double in Austin after Salado. Eastward, Ho!
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    I used to live there...left about 7 years ago. I really liked a place called Feast. www.eatatfeast.com
    Give it a try.
  • Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    edited March 2014
    El Guero Canelo is awesome, sonoran dog and burritos rock.
    Edina, MN

• jrb06
    jrb06 Posts: 52
    Thanks all looking forward to trying some of these.
  • Casa Molina in East Tucson off Speedway. Get the Chimichanga "Enchilada Style" you won't regret it!!!
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    The town of my birth 59 years ago.  Wish I could help, but it has been a long time since I was there.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    One of the most talked about pizza joints in the country is Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix. I have never eaten there, but people apparently come from everywhere to stand in line for THREE HOURS for a pie (which is why I never WILL eat there). As I understand it, he is opening a place in Tucson as well. Was supposed to have opened last year sometime, but I can't seem to find that it has. If so, it HAS to be worth checking out.

The marg from the Phoenix store sure looks good!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut