Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken legs help!

Options
Have a family pack of chicken legs, just wondering on the best way to do them, any suggestions? Everyone likes them different in my family so looking for a few ideas! Thanks :D

Comments

• coffeeguydenton
    Options
    I cook them like big chicken wings.  400 indirect, rub of 50/50 Plowboys Yardbird and turbinado sugar, about 30 minutes then baste with sauce of choice, 15 minutes longer and enjoy!
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Options
    I use one of those dumaflachies (sp) that allows you to hang each leg. No need to turn each leg as it is cooking. Cannot think of the name of it or who makes it but someone on the forum may also use it and be more helpful.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    edited March 2014
    Options
    This is the type of rack @springram was talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/King-Kooker-12WR-12-Slot-Poultry/dp/B00CJ6EU36/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1395691575&sr=8-2&keywords=chicken+racks

This isn't the exact rack I use, but it looks about the same. I bought mine in a kitchen store locally.

I also use this and find it is the best way to cook chicken legs. I cook them indirect at about 350 dome.  I put a home made rub (sesame seed based) on them under the skin.  A few minutes before they are ready, I paint on a little BBQ sauce.  Very popular cook at our house.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I just did some a week or two ago. Put a cornflake coating on it. Was delicious. They actually sell the corn flake crumbs in the grocery store. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1163098/spicy-corn-flake-drummies-w-cauliflower-steaks-pics#latest
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Options
    I cook them all the time sometime indirect but most of the time raised direct 300/350 about a hour .
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! I did them indirect at 400. Sauced them with famous Dave's sweet and zesty and my own BBQ sauce for the last 15 mins. Used some dizzy pig raging river rub! They turned out great!! Thanks for all the input! That's why I love this forum!! :)>-
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Options
    @Shiff - that is the rack for sure. Thanks for being helpful. I was very lazy for not looking up the name of the rack.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • EGG_Daddy
    EGG_Daddy Posts: 163
    Options
    Raised-direct.  400 degrees. Flip every ten minutes.  Sauce near the end.  I like mine nice and charred.  These are drummies.image

MN. LBGE. Vikings. Beer. YETI 75.

• stevethegreat
    Options
    @EGG_Daddy those look awesome, what's the total time you cook them for? One thing I don't get is that everyone says you are supposed to cook to temp but with chicken wings/legs a lot of people go until texture/color looks good or a certain period of time passes.  How do you know if you are drying out the chicken?

Steve
    Outside of Appleton, WI - MBGE, LBGE
  • coffeeguydenton
    Options
    daffy1909 said:
    Thanks everyone!!! I did them indirect at 400. Sauced them with famous Dave's sweet and zesty and my own BBQ sauce for the last 15 mins. Used some dizzy pig raging river rub! They turned out great!! Thanks for all the input! That's why I love this forum!! :)>-
    Glad they turned out.
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Sometimes I cook mine raised indirect at 200 for several hours with lots of smoke...never disappoint
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • EGG_Daddy
    EGG_Daddy Posts: 163
    Options
    Around 40 minutes.  I have never checked the temp on any of my legs or wings.  Just the look.  My house prefers drumettes over legs.  Last time I was home I made wings 4 nights in a row.  They just kept getting better.  Also, try glazing them in a sweet chili and mayo mixture.  Season with whatever and glaze near the end.  

The only time I dried them out was when...I did them indirect and I had a lot of grease buildup on my place setter.  The grease dripped down and increased them temp way too high.  They got away from me as I was downstairs playing darts.  Scorched 'em.  One roommate still loved them.  

Good luck.  Lets see some pics in the future.  

MN. LBGE. Vikings. Beer. YETI 75.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    400 raised direct. Sauce the last 10 min. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    or one of those spiffy racks @Doc_Eggerton has... they work very well.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1162868/legs-and-squash#latest

As Siddy mentioned.  Bought at Ace Hardware.  I think the very best marinade for legs is Allegro Hot & Spicy.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
     BTW, i know this is a weird place to announce this but.... I'm gay.
    Options
     BTW, i know this is a weird place to announce this but.... I'm gay.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Ok. I had a party at the house tonight and one of the miscreants posted this on my computer.  I am pretty f*ckin' far from gay.  Not that I have any problem with anyone gay.  That said, it was obviously a good party.
    Options
    It's OK.  Don't deny your true feelings.  Everyone is welcome here, no matter what ethnicity or sexual orientation they choose.  I like kittens.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    +1 to the chicken lollipops. Kids really enjoy those especially.
  • Mickey
    Options
    Ok. I had a party at the house tonight and one of the miscreants posted this on my computer.  I am pretty f*ckin' far from gay.  Not that I have any problem with anyone gay.  That said, it was obviously a good party.

Bet computer has a password now =))
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    Options

Mickey said:

Bet computer has a password now =))
    Lesson learned.  I'm logging out of all my stuff during a party.  I thought it was pretty funny....was lucky to catch it, I was just locking up the shop and glanced at the screen.

We boiled a sack of crawfish and I grilled scallops, pork tenderloin and prime sirloin steaks.   Had about bunch of friends over....I think I know exactly who hijacked my account...
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Do some chicken lollipops! French the ends, season, wrap in bacon and sauce the towards the end! 350F for approx 1-1/2 hours!image
    The fancy name is chicken lollipops, the Gun Barrel Saloon at Apex Ski Resort calls those Buzzard Balls. Always a favourite. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mickey
    Options
    Turkey legs for lunch today. 400 raised direct.