Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does the deer have any dough? yeah, 2 bucks

Options
henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
Neighbor gave me 2 large filets.. backstrap. Any good recipes? I know wild game takes some finesse and knowledge.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Chicken fried.One of my favorite!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• henapple
    Options
    @RAC‌ ...no marinade or special prep. Flatten and fry?
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    I have no first hand experience but, I soak chicken and steak in buttermilk before frying. Probably wouldn't hurt backstrap
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    ibid what TofN said.  Buttermilk bath to nullify the gamey taste, regardless of how you cook it. 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • shadowcaster
    Options
    I have quite a few things you can do with them. What are you looking to do?
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Dip in milk/egg batter, flour and fry. We heavy season the flour. Mashed taters and homemade cream gravy.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1158235/birthday-dinner#latest

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• henapple
    Options

I have quite a few things you can do with them. What are you looking to do?

Don't really know. We don't eat a lot wild game.
  • shadowcaster
    Options
    One of my favorites that you can try is butterfly them and stuff wat cheese and wrap in bacon. You can also cook them as in just season lightly. I have a rub by Grillmates called "sweet and smokey" that is awesome on venison. I also you that on the butterfly chops as well. You can also wrap a piece of bacon around the filet. I generally don't like to add too many spices to my backstrap. I think the flavor is too good to cover up. Cook it to an IT of 130, 135 at the most and enjoy
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I have some oak ridge venison and wild game rub. If you can wait a day or 2 I'll send it to you. I like mine chicken fried as Recommended above.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Venison backstrap, well here in the GWN as far as I know, is what we call a NY strip on beef. Usually they are thin cuts so the advice to buttermilk marinate and CFS them is always good. Depending on the deer they came from, tenderizing may be a good idea. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,649
    Options
    The oak ridge rub that centex speaks of is awesome on deer. Season with it the batter and fry.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    When I was a kid, my mother would take thin cuts of venison, dredged in milk, egg & flour. Fry them and serve breakfast with eggs, biscuits & gravy.
    Man I miss those breakfasts!
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ