Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does anyone use the screen?

I just got a controller for my large egg and I am having problems when I try to slide the bottom vent closed over the fan adapter. When I close up the bottom vent the screen on the bottom vent gets hung up on the edge of the adapter plate. I noticed I some of the videos I have seen there is not a screen on the bottom vent. 

Is it necessary to use the screen? I know it helps keep embers from popping out. 

Has anyone taken the screen door out and noticed a difference?

Also does anyone know if the mothership will replace the screen door under warrenty?
Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone

Comments

• Duranhler
    Duranhler Posts: 78
    My screen got jammed up from a few strands of screen that wasn't glued properly.
    I pulled the screen door out, tore off the screen & put the door back, screenless.
    Went to the dealer and checked the screen on a floor model ... same thing, hung up.
    My egg is on a concrete patio with no fire hazard, so I'll just run with out the screen.
    Peoria, AZ == XL BGE, Weber 22.5 Redhead, Fiesta Blue Ember Gasser
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    I have no problem using my screen with my controller fan.  I have a stoker so the adapter might be different than yours.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Jeffroe189
    Jeffroe189 Posts: 273
    cazzy said:
    I have no problem using my screen with my controller fan.  I have a stoker so the adapter might be different than yours.
    I also have a stoker. My problem is that the screen has come completely loose from the sliding door on the end that over laps the adapter plate.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    cazzy said:
    I also have a stoker. My problem is that the screen has come completely loose from the sliding door on the end that over laps the adapter plate.
    Can you take and post a pic?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Jeffroe189
    cazzy said:
    cazzy said:
    sure I will get one in a little bit.
  • Jeffroe189

I took the screens out of my bge..until I put them in a table..now I use them

How is the screen attached to the frame? My egg is in a nest and I will have to take it out to do anything. Is it just tac welded to the metal frame?
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    When I am using my PartyQ, I just slide the screen out, using the door piece only.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Jeffroe189
    cazzy said:
    cazzy said:
    sure I will get one in a little bit.
    Sorry I have not gotten a chance to go take a pic. I will try and get one tomorrow when I hook everything up.
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    No problem using the screen. I used stoker also but recently, have not needed to use it that much since the egg keeps the temp stabilized for hours.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    I use my DigiQ and hand had no issues with the screen with that adapter.
    Clarendon Hills, IL