Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Transition from Lg. BGE to XLg. BGE

Options
Upgrading after 18 yrs with Lg. BGE.. Can I expect about the same cooking characteristics with the XLg. - that being, burn time without refueling, temp. control, etc. ?? The Wx is just breaking here in the Fla. Panhandle, so will be doing about 10 "break-in cooks" and would like to know basically what to expect. Tnx

Comments

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    I personally can't advise you, I have a Large and small. What happened to your large? Enjoy the new egg.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • STBS
    STBS Posts: 8
    Options
    My Daughter in Atlanta is the proud owner of the "old" Lg BGE.. I bought it (1993-95) while living in Atlanta and BGE was located in a small strip mall off Clermont Rd.. I would hate to think how many grilling assignments that "EGG" has seen !!
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    In my experience, they cook pretty similar. Perhaps a fully loaded XL could burn a little longer without filling but you really shouldn't run out mid cook with either size. My XL might take a few minutes longer to get up to cooking temp and reacts slightly slower to changes in vent settings. I haven't encountered any significant differences in cooking characteristics in mine.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options

if you've been cooking on a large and you're moving up to an XL you won't have any issues. In some respects it's easier. IMHO when the XL stabilizes it holds it's temps easier than the large. I still like my large though.

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Way to go Dad. I'll bet she is a happy camper. And yea her egg would have some history. ;) Glad it stayed in the family.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • STBS
    STBS Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks to those who responded.. Yesterday and today I did "seasoning" cooks on the XLg. and as one of you suggested - not much difference. I think the XLg stabilizes on temp. a bit better than the Lg.. Tomorrow, through the next 8 "seasoning" cooks I'll be hooking up my Stoker unit and see how it reacts to that. 1st competition cook-off is the 28-29th, so hope to get it all figured out. Again, many thanks.....