Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Ribeye tonight any suggestions?

I usually wouldn't ask for advice on a steak but I also don't typically spend $15 on a ribeye. I was thinking salt pepper and sear direct over flame. 2-3 min per side and done. What do you say?

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Purdy piece of meat.  Cook to temp, depending on how you like your steak cooked.
    My advice would be to invite me over.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    Big Ragu said:
    I usually wouldn't ask for advice on a steak but I also don't typically spend $15 on a ribeye. I was thinking salt pepper and sear direct over flame. 2-3 min per side and done. What do you say?
    Absolutely.... thats the bomb ...Enjoy
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Big Ragu
    Big Ragu Posts: 148
    Incredible. Well worth the extra $5 lb for prime.
  • Looks great!  I always say, when it comes to a good piece of meat like that, the cook's only job is to get out of the way and not screw it up.  Looks like that was your philosophy, too!
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    When your dining from the egg, the extra price of prime seems to be worth it to me. If you were to dine out for that same steak, it would cost you 3X that much or more! I say great work!
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    What temp do u sear at for your steaks? I've done more indirect cooks than direct and am still getting the hang of it on the egg. I did some 2" thick filet steaks and got the outside perfect, but just medium to medium well inside (or burned it u ask me, shooting for medium rare).

I've heard of/tried or verse searing, but that I feel is better for bigger pieces of beef rather than individual steaks.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    The reverse sear works well on a 2" thick steak, but the sweet spot to pull them (on the first step) can be a little tricky.  If you were happy with the outside, I would do the same thing you did, but pull them at a cooler temp.  Then do the sear step the same way.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Big Ragu
    Big Ragu Posts: 148
    Had her up to 550. Been getting better sear on the ceramic grill works grate than I did on the standard grate.