Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - piece of advice

Tjcoley
Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
Don't get the flu. I had my flu shot and ended up with it anyway. Started this past Friday and got progressively worse over the weekend. By Monday, couldn't stand the smell of cooked meat, and sat out on the patio while the family ate the Cornish hens I did on the Egg, barely making it through the cook. First time I've called in sick in over 30 years. Rallied Tuesday and back to work, and by the end of the day was wiped out. Tried to work today but ended up in bed all afternoon. Decided to call off the rest of the week to hibernate, and hopefully will be ok the weekend and start Egging again after replacing my gasket. Stay healthy all.

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Feel better soon...

That sounds horrible
  • That sux TJ!  I hope you get better real soon!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Tjcoley said:
    First time I've called in sick in over 30 years. 

Tj, that is impressive as hell!  :-bd  Go ahead and take the rest of the week to heal fully, you deserve it.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Get well soon with lots of rest and if you can stomach it, chicken broth, soup and dumplings.  The flu vaccine for this year is only good for about 75% of known strains.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• cajuncook
    cajuncook Posts: 99
    Make chicken (Cornish hen) soup with the carcasses.
    Live on beautiful Lake Hartwell GA
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Hope you get well soon!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Tjcoley
    Thanks all.  Hoping to fire up the Egg tomorrow night.
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Hope you feel better soon. It bites to be under the weather like that.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

You cooked while you were sick? I never cook when I'm sick because I don't want anybody I care about catching it. And cuz I'm a baby and I don't do sh!t when I'm sick except lie in bed and watch tv and nap.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Tjcoley

Griffin said:

You cooked while you were sick? I never cook when I'm sick because I don't want anybody I care about catching it. And cuz I'm a baby and I don't do sh!t when I'm sick except lie in bed and watch tv and nap.

That exactly what I did on Sunday and Monday, slept most of the day.  By late afternoon, thought I was better, like some kind of 48 hour bug, so I fired up the Egg.  Haven't touched it since.  Until this morning, haven't eaten anything except crackers, jello and toast.  Couldn't even tolerate the smell of cooked food.  It's sort of been in waves past few days - felt good enough to work Tuesday, but was wiped out by the end of the day.  Made it til late morning Wednesday, then gave it up.  Starting to feel almost normal again now.  Lesson learned is I should have taken off the beginning of the week and may have got over it sooner - at least I work at home, so didn't expose anyone but the family who gave it to me in the first place.
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited March 2014
    Hope all is well, or at least getting better - get well soon!

There might be a silver lining in this mess. Many report that after a good bout of flu they are good for a number of years without a reoccurrence. Still go thru the flu shot regime, but the week or two of horror seemed to help fight off future strains. 

Reminds of my very sympathetic Dad - he said, What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Tjcoley
    I agree @Skiddymarker.  Been many years since I got the flu.  Working in healthcare, I'm required to get the flu shot every year, and need to show proof or I can't even walk in to some hospitals.
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I have never had the flu (knock on wood). My 12 year old daughter has gotten the last two years right around Christmas. 

I hope you feel better soon. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's