Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ever start a table on fire?

AndyR
AndyR Posts: 130
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here's a question for you folks. I've dropped my new BBE into its new nest (preasure treated wood table). The opening is snug, touching in some places but otherwise a perfect fit. It rests in a patio stone. I've noticed that the exterior of the Egg gets pretty hot when you crank it up to 700F. Any chance this thing could spark up the table?[p]AndyR

Comments

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    AndyR,
    I have the standard BGE table for my large. There is no sign of charring, much less ignition. I think YB built a table that seals in the medium. Maybe he'll jump in here. I don't think you'll have a problem though.
    JimW

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    AndyR,
    This might help you. I would still open it up to a minimum of 1" all around.

[ul][li]Ignition temps[/ul]
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    JimW,
    YB's top is not made of wood. It is corian.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    AndyR, if you don't want to put a 1" spacing between the egg and table you probably should put some type of insulation in place. Go by an appliance parts store and but about 60" of stove rope. This should provide good insulation between the egg (which although hot is not nearly as hot outside as it inside) and the table.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    AndyR,
    I'm with JJ here. You need some space around that baby. I have about .5 inch all the way around, usually try to center humpty in the space. A couple of times the egg was touching the side, and melted part of this plastic tablecloth I have stapled on, and blackened the wood. Humpty is alive.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    AndyR,
    Do you have your egg resting on a patio stone and feet?
    RhumAndJerk

• AndyR
    AndyR Posts: 130
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Stone, no feet.
  • RhumAndJerk
    JJ,
    I think that I will cover a table with oxidized linseed oil. :)[p]That is cool information.[p]Thanks for sharing,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• RhumAndJerk
    AndyR,
    May I suggest the feet as well as the patio stone? The air spacing is crucial to keep the patio stone from breaking.[p]It is also a good idea to keep a layer of ash in the bottom of the egg.[p]Maybe if you use the feet, the egg will not fit as tight in the table thus giving you your needed clearence.[p]Hope this Helps,
    RhumAndJerk

• RhumAndJerk, my eggact comments about the feet and stone. Until last weekend I used a stone only and it cracked. I then did a little shopping around as I was afraid with the feet on a 16" round stone it might teeter and be unstable, and stick up too much. Bottomline I replaced the 16" round which are 2" thick with two red patio blocks which measured almost 16" x 8" (Menards)but are only 1 5/8" thick so adding the 3/4" of the feet = 2 3/8" or a rise of a paltry 3/8" which was negligible! ^oo^~
  • Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    AndyR,[p] In answer to your question, yes. There was a thread last year called "Ring of Fire" in which a table did catch fire. See link below![p]MikeO
    [ul][li]Ring of Fire Thread[/ul]