Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

You NEED to do this!!

Options
cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited March 2014 in EggHead Forum
Okay, this may have been lost in my failed brisket thread, but you NEED to do this if you have a adjustable rig and rig extender.

I didn't even know if it would work, but the results were fabulous and the best store bought sausage I've had off the egg!  The smoke flavor was incredible...I think mainly from the fat dripping on the lump.  It literally reminded me of a sausage I had from Lockhart as a kid.  It was nothing special either, just the Kiolbassa Sausage pack.  Not the individual 8 pack, the one big link that is snaked in the package.  When I bought them, I saw the creases and it just popped in my head about how I was going to cook them.  

Direct over your lump hanging from the rig extender!  I've finally used the extender @tjv and it will be used a hell of a lot more going forward!!    B-)

Just make sure to pull them before the casings split too bad.  Mine did, but they were awesome!  Oh, also, don't have too much lump in the egg.  I used the left over lump from a long cook and it was perfect.
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    How well did the smoke penetrate through the casing?
    NW IOWA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I'm in
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    I wish sausage was healthy. Though I smoked some chicken sausage yesterday and they turned out really good.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Great setup. I've smoked homemade kielbasi on the Egg before, but I really like this way.
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Philly35 said:
    How well did the smoke penetrate through the casing?
    Smokier than any sausage I've had off the egg.  As mentioned, I think it was the fat drippings.  The entire time, the egg was smoking heavily.  The chips I put in there before I tossed the sausage in smelled off, so I just let them burn out, then tossed the sausage in.  I don't think they contributed at all.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,513
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Wish I have the extender for my AR.  Being thinking of fabricating couple of braces across the top of AR and hang tandoori chicken from them using butcher S-hooks ... easier and more capacity than pushing four foot wrought iron skewers through the small dome opening.
    canuckland
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I LOVE sausage from the egg. Never would have thought of doing it this way. What temp and what wood did you use? 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • cazzy
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    I LOVE sausage from the egg. Never would have thought of doing it this way. What temp and what wood did you use? 
    300 and I really didn't use any wood.  I was using Ozark Oak, so I would say use Oak if you use anything.  
  • tkleager
    tkleager Posts: 539
    Options
    This now gives me reason to buy an AR and extender.  Going to have to try this with Garlic Sausage that we get at the local grocery.
    No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
    Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
    Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I gotta try that with sausage.  maybe nice sugar maple and apple smoke or just pecan.

maybe on boudin too.

thanks for sharing

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options
    I WILL be doing this. Thanks for the post. Sounds great.
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If anyone doesn't have the rig extender, you can "rig" something up with heavy gauge wire or rod.
    That is pretty genius. I made this extender rack. It was pretty easy to do. image
  • Socalcajudo
    Socalcajudo Posts: 132
    Options
    Smart idea. Thanks can. Gotta try this out.
  • laserdoc85
    laserdoc85 Posts: 577
    Options
    Try some breakfast patties direct at dome temp about 350. They will smoke like a mother but they will be the best breakfast patties you ever had. Got to love the drippings on the lump
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • shadowcaster
    Options
    That just looks to good. I wonder how that would work on my fresh homemade venison sausage. I didn't cut the casing on them so I should be able to hang them. Thanks for the idea @Cazzy, can't wait to try it out.
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.