Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Problem with the ring on my Egg

Options
So please see the attached photo.  I know this is going to eventually wither away, is this huge problem?  How can it be fixed.  Thank you in advance for your wisdom.
Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    It looks like you just need to replace your gasket.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    I had to enlarge the pic to see what you were talking about but it's just your gasket. I used Rutland gaskets and I'm happy with the performance.

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    To answer your question, No, it's not a huge problem.  I know several people who burnt their gasket up and never replaced it and still have the same performance from their egg as they did before.  If you wanted to replace it, I would suggest contacting RRP and he can help you.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Gaskets are meant to be replaced. They do burn out as they provide a soft close, seal the dome and base and allow you to run probe cables without compromising the seal. 
    When you do replace it, check the alignment of the dome and base, looks to me like your gasket is pulling into the egg at the hinge, that tells me the dome is binding on the base as it closes. (Dome is set to low)
    How old is your egg? If under a year, you can get a replacement BGE high temp gasket from your dealer for free. http://www.biggreenegg.com/support/warranty/
    Scrape the old one off, clean the dome and base with acetone, self stick the new one. Make sure the gasket does not overhang the inside edge. It will last much longer. 
    Many Eggers have used Rutland wood stove gaskets (Grapho-Glas) and @RRP can help you there. I've had my food safe Nomex gasket for two years and it still is working like a champ. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    My nomex is shot...going Rutland this time.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    Awesome!!  Thanks to all for the help.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    What's a gasket? I seem to have dim memories of having one of those at one time.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    Options
    My original gasket burned up after about my 3rd cook. I left it shrivled and crispy for over a year, but on some cooks I noticed a considerable amount of smoke leaking from the unevenness of the burned up gasket.

So not wanting to go through this again I went all out and scrapped the thing off, top and bottom. Acetone, scraper, and that paint stripper attachment for drill. I applied the Permatex copper as an adhesive, and a Rutland gasket over that. Bottom only, nothing on the dome rim. I've had it on a couple months and it is awesome. Still pristine after some pretty fiery cooks.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47