Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Back Ribs - Membrane(s)?

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
I attempted Beef Back Ribs once before, and said never again. Results were terrible, texture was weird, flavor was blah.
Was at Wally World yesterday and some jumped in my cart...
Did Beef Back Ribs tonight per @nibblemethis

Results were way better. Texture and flavor were really good. I don't remember how I did it the first time, glad I don't.

Question though...Are there 2 membranes on beef back ribs? I removed the membrane, scraped off the extra fat underneath, but there still seemed to be a really tough membrane when finished. No way you could bite through it, was able to bite the meat off, but kind of odd I thought.

Anyone else noticed this? Next time I'll try to remove both, and based on tonight's results, there will be a next time.

They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    My favorite ribs , not sure about you question though. Well done.
    Seattle, WA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    The membrane that comes off with the least effort is the one you want to remove.  The "other one" keeps the ribs as a rack-same with pork ribs...FWIW-BTW-great looking cook.  Bet those were tasty!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @lousubcap‌ Thanks, appreciate the info. And yes, were very good. I think I want to tweak the rub a bit for my family's liking.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Eggpharmer
    Eggpharmer Posts: 479
    Options
    @Mickey‌ coffee rub works great on these. One of my favorite cooks. Usually cheap too, I often find the racks on sale for abou 5 bucks each.
    Austin, TX
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Nice looking ribs. If you remove the second membrane the bones will very likely fall out during the cook.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA