Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt alternative methods

Options
wingfoot
wingfoot Posts: 95
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing pulled pork again this weekend. It's gotta be my kids' favorite. Every time I do them, I cook 'em at about 250 dome and it takes about 22 hours for a couple of 7 to 8 lb bone-in butts to get to 200, which is where I like them. My question is, that after seeing and hearing about folks who do these things in 10 to 12 hours, including prep time, is there a way to get the same results in a shorter amount of time? I remember when watching the All Star Barbecue Showdown that they only had about 12 hours from start to finish......... I think. [p]What say you?[p]Thanks,[p]Mike

Comments

• wingfoot,
    Personally, I think it has to do with the piece of meat. Some cook faster than others. I have done a butt in less then 12 hours and some more then 16 hours. I wonder what would happen if you up the temp to 300 for the duration?[p]Jerry

• YankeeBBQ
    Options
    wingfoot,
    I'm fairly new to this egg cooking but I do have quite a bit of bbq experience. When I hear about people cooking a butt for 20 or more hours it simply amazes me. What is your grate temp when the dome temp is 250 ? If you can raise the temp in your cooker to 230-250 at the grate you should be able to cook your butts in 10 to 12 hours amd produce an excellent product. Your not opening your cooker on a regular basis are you ?[p]Steve

• wingfoot
    Options
    I'm not sure about the grate temp when I'm at 250 to 260 dome, but I'm guessing around 210. As far as opening the lid, I never open it until well into the cook and then only to spritz the butts with apple juice, but only a couple of times in total. The results I get with the long cooks are fantastic, and the only reason I'm interested in shortening things up is because I don't really want to do overnighters in the dead of a Kansas winter because I don't have a guru. Thus, I have to get up a few times during the night to check the temps. I think this time, I'll try Jwhilwind's suggestion and kick the dome up to 300 and see what happens. Thanks for the feedback.[p]Mike
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    wingfoot,
    I'm with you on this one. I have never had a butt or shoulder finish in less than 20-25 hours, much less in 10-12 hours.
    I follow the Eggsperts advice on lo and slo's; especially Elder's and The Naked Whiz's. I don't raise the temps to speed up the cook. I pull it off at 200 internal period.The bottom line to me is that if raising the temp is the answer to quick times; I need to raise it to 500 and hit the 200 internal quick, but I think I'll continue cooking it lo and slo.
    As Jwhilrwind stated; it may be the size of the meat as well.
    Just my thoughts!
    Hammer

• Rumrunner
    Options
    wingfoot, follow the link for my method of 'quick' cooking a butt.

[ul][li]Injecting a butt[/ul]