Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE neighborhood smoke ...not here-

Options
I don't get the neighborhood "smoke envy" with the BGE that I was used to in a previous life with a water/gasser smoker.  Given the BGE efficiency I'm not complaining but I read several posts where the neighbors have ----- envy. And yes I do use smoke wood as appropriate for the cook. Just curious as to WTF?  (And my closest neighbor is around 100 ft away).  Others?
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I can relate. The neighbor behind me (she's the "neighborhood watch" if you know what I mean) is the only neighbor to have ever said something to me. It was more along the lines of me cooking on it all the time though. She didn't express envy, nor did she ask any questions about the egg.

I blame myself and my neighbors though. We aren't a very neighborly bunch unfortunately.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Same here; the BGE just doesn't seem to give off the smells that my old $50 electric water smoker did.
    The exception is when I'm wokking; that gives a strong, although short, blast of enviable emissions.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    I live in a townhouse community with people close by and walking by all the time. They rarely pass by without some comment...
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Mine tosses plenty of good aroma around the 'hood..

Infact, when I moved in, and then bought a new egg, it was part of the conversation from one neighbor about the egg, and asked if I liked to cook out and entertain, as he did as well. He doesn't have an egg, but liked the fact I did, and liked the fact I had a kegerator with 4 taps and wanted to come over!

My new neighbor that moved in 2 weeks ago, made the comment about me cooking out all the time, and how great it smelled when they were moving in the other day. Asked what I cooked since his wife is from the Hill Country in Tx where I was raised and the smells brought her back.

That said.. My patio is 15x20 and covered. I usually turn on the fan on the ceiling, and it's open on 3 sides. I use a cast iron patio fan near our door that blows the smoke and smell away from the door, as I keep it open sometimes and the wife complains that the house smells like a BBQ pit. That might push more smoke around the houses.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    On occasion the one neighbor will pull her clothes off the line as soon as I fire up the egg.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    On occasion the one neighbor will pull her clothes off as soon as I fire up the egg :))
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    grege345 said:
    On occasion the one neighbor will pull her clothes off the line as soon as I fire up the egg.

That almost as good as her pulling her clothes OFF when you fire up the egg!
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    My neighbor just pulls her clothes off. ..she's 74 years old.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    I'm all in för the eggscapades outlined above-but where I live it's a mind game at best-sorry @henapple!  Great responses!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I didn't say she wasn't hot..gilf
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    No neighbors here! I hate neighbors...
    NW IOWA