Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FINALLY found a choice packer...

Options
yzzi
yzzi Posts: 1,843
Went on a quail shoot that was a couple hours away in farm country so I found a place that sold Packers. Picked up a 16 pound choice for 3.99 a pound which is just a little more than Walmart select. Will put this in the freezer since tomorrow is Quail for dinner.
Dunedin, FL

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    Not to rain on your parade but if you can call and then visit a close Costco-you may be surprised what you might find.  Seems this time of the year (Salado/Ides of March, St. Patrick's Day) they stock up on most eggcellent packers-at least in this part of the country.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • yzzi
    Options
    Yeah I'm there quite often but I've only seen untrimmed flats there the last few years. I've asked about them ordering a packer but no luck there. I'm going to try another one someday.
    Dunedin, FL
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @yzzi-I very rarely see the full packer here as well but for the past couple of weeks I have done well.  Just sayin-and BTW It's not like in Texas but quite eggcellent for these parts.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Hell I can't find one under $6 per lb anymore. Thanks Franklin. Even the crap is $3.99 most of the time. 

The day brisket became hipster food, God cried. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Cen_Tex-I'm guessing I am about to be hosed as there are very few times Costco has packers in this part of the world and I have never seen them before at the current $2.99/# price.  But i will ride that horse til the freezer is full or SWMBO says "too much".
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Hell I can't find one under $6 per lb anymore. Thanks Franklin. Even the crap is $3.99 most of the time. 

They day brisket became hipster food, God cried
    Do you have a restaurant Depot near you?  The ones near here have Choice packers for about $3 per pound. Our local Costco dosn't carry them.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options

I can get choice packers at the commissary for $2-$2.50 per lb all year long. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    I think I might actually prefer choice to prime.
    Gittin' there...
  • yzzi
    Options

Cost sake?
    Dunedin, FL
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

yeah but I don't have to get shot at. Fair trade.

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options

yeah but I don't have to get shot at. Fair trade.

You sure don't live in my town.   B-)

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Prime packers were 2.89/lb at Costco a week ago.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    yzzi said:
    Cost sake?
    I like that they seem to be a bit more leaner, but not too lean.

Need to cook up a few more data points though.
    Gittin' there...
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    Options
    Wow I fell bad, I got torqued, when the price of CAB packers here in Arizona went $2.77 a pound. I fell much better now.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    CAB packers are $5.99 here and you can't find them at that. I love that we have a vibrant bbq scene here but it has sent prices through the roof and availability through the floor. Crap select is regularly $3.99. It was "on sale"'for $2.39 this week (where it should be) and people we lined up for it like it was a special treat.
  • travisstrick
    Options
    CAB packers are $5.99 here and you can't find them at that. I love that we have a vibrant bbq scene here but it has sent prices through the roof and availability through the floor. Crap select is regularly $3.99. It was "on sale"'for $2.39 this week (where it should be) and people we lined up for it like it was a special treat.
    Dude, I can get you some and meet you in RR or something. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    We may have to do that. It's been horrible for months. I paid $6 for a CAB flat a few weeks ago. It was awesome but you can get snake river farms Wagyu for that (minus the shipping, of course)
  • travisstrick
    Options
    $2.18 last week for a beautiful #16 choice. I have tomorrow off. Let me know
  • yzzi
    Options
    Yeah Travis, bring me some too ;-)
    Dunedin, FL
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options

Costco has chingos of briskets. Are they not Angus?
    Gittin' there...
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    $2.18 last week for a beautiful #16 choice. I have tomorrow off. Let me know
    on a plane to MN at 6 am. My life is awesome.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Costco has chingos of briskets. Are they not Angus?
    They may now but not always. i don't need Angus, I just need good.