Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First go at the ole Spatchcocked chicken! (Pic Heavy!)

Options
Finally went out on a limb and tried my hand at spatchcocking a chicken. Turned out just like I expected... After all of the discussions and pictures I've seen and comments I've read on here I knew it would be the juiciest chicken I've ever had, and it was!
Demorest, Ga.    1MBGE

Comments

• JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    Options
    Nice work... Looks Juicy. How'd you cook it? Direct over the lump?
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • BckPorchGriln
    Options
    Correct sir, Direct over the lump on the CI grid at 350 for just under an hour.
    Demorest, Ga.    1MBGE
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Rub?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• BckPorchGriln
    Options
    I did a little mixture of some jerk chicken rub I bought from a local spice shop and some of Dr. BBQ's #67 rub.
    Demorest, Ga.    1MBGE
  • shadowcaster
    Options
    hmmm I might have to do a taste test to see if it tastes as good as it looks  ;) looks really good, its the only way to do a chicken in my opinion.
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • GoVols
    GoVols Posts: 216
    Options
    Good looking bird.
    Tim Rickman,Tn.
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Lookin good!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• BckPorchGriln
    Options
    hmmm I might have to do a taste test to see if it tastes as good as it looks  ;) looks really good, its the only way to do a chicken in my opinion.

I'm always up for a little friendly criticism!

Demorest, Ga.    1MBGE
  • pretzelb
    pretzelb Posts: 158
    Options
    I've only done this twice but I am amazed at how good it turns out. The one thing that puzzles me is adding the rub on the skin which then seems to get wasted. Other than that I am so happy with the results.
    XL egg owner, home brewer, jogger, coffee roaster, gamer 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    pretzelb said:
    I've only done this twice but I am amazed at how good it turns out. The one thing that puzzles me is adding the rub on the skin which then seems to get wasted. Other than that I am so happy with the results.

I love the skin.
    NOLA
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I love the whole thing!  I have cooked chicken many ways oveer the years, briquets, gas, whatever.
    Pieces, whole, rotisserie.
    Nothing does a finished product like spatchcock......................nothing.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • pretzelb
    pretzelb Posts: 158
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    pretzelb said:

I love the skin.
    I'm glad you said that because I can't decide. At times I agree but other times I'm tossing it out and thinking I should just put the rub under the skin.

I guess what this really means is I have to cook a ton more chickens in order to make a proper decision!
    XL egg owner, home brewer, jogger, coffee roaster, gamer 
  • sstripes96
    sstripes96 Posts: 152
    Options
    That's the great thing about Spatchcock chicken and turkey. As far as I can tell, there is no limb to go out on. Its dead simple and unless you forget you have something on the Egg, you cant ruin it.
    Around here we are currently on a no fat diet so the SWMBO wanted me to smoke a couple of turkey breasts. We removed the skin, put rub on the meat, and then placed the skin back on top to keep the moisture in. Smoked it and then tossed the skin (I hated to). It was awesome.
    Finally went out on a limb and tried my hand at spatchcocking a chicken. Turned out just like I expected... After all of the discussions and pictures I've seen and comments I've read on here I knew it would be the juiciest chicken I've ever had, and it was!

Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA