Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQ vs CyberQ Wifi

Alright, I know I am about to open a can of worms but here it goes anyway.  I have made the decision to invest in a temperature controller and have narrowed it down to these two.  I have done some research and know what each one does.  My big question here is if the wifi is worth the extra money.  Has anybody got the CyberQ and found out they did not need the wifi feature (or the other way around)?  I do not want to invest this kind of money and regret my decision.  I have looked at a Stoker and I have no need to control two pits so I do not see the need it going that direction.  I was previously just using a device that alarmed when the grill got too hot/cool but as I have had more and more requests to cook low and slow cooks, I am really starting to value my sleep.  I will admit I like to have gadgets but I also want to be able to justify anything I get.  Any suggestions or personal experiences would be appreciated. 

Comments

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    I am too damn busy to play around with the Wifi capabilities and the computer tracking.  I think it would be fun and interesting but I really just want to set it and forget it type scenario.  I will be interested in what you find out and decide. Good luck.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • I was in the same boat as you.  I ended up going for the wifi model, and despite the fact that I'm generally fairly competent with electronics, I haven't bothered figuring out the wifi.  it's extremely archaic, IMO, and not worth the effort.  

honestly, you'll find more time trying to figure out how to set up the wifi than the wifi will end up saving you.
  • dfrelich
    dfrelich Posts: 104
    I've been flip flopping between two controllers. Eventually my wife decided to buy me wifi for Christmas. Anyway if you're out of the house quite often when you're doing slow cook. It's nice to have the wifi model so you can check in anywhere else. I'm father of two busy kids so I like the peace of mind where I am along the cook. But is it really necessary to shell out 100 extra for the wifi? I'd say not really. If you trust the atc and know when your cook is about to be done. You get home in time. You shall be ok. For me the neat feature is having 3 probes for the food vs diqi with one. I think that alone justify 100 extra.
    X-Large & Large
    Frederick County, MD
  • I took the time to set my wifi up and I use it all the time...I love being able to leave for a while and still check in and adjust from my phone. Even when I don't leave I can see what's happening no matter where I am at home.

Setup wasn't simple but once it was done I haven't touched the configuration at all...took me about an hour to set up...only complaint is I can't get the email functionality to work.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Like @mike_the_bbq_fanatic, I took the time to setup, about an hour, and haven't looked back. Was sitting in church the other night watching my cook. Figure that's bad. Great peace of mind, but definitely not plug and play to setup. Got the emails working after some grief as well. Let me know if I can send settings Mike.
    LBGE, Burgeoning Accessories
  • Thanks...I got the new ones from guru a few months ago but still couldn't make a go of it...I'll hit you up the next time I get it out and have some time to try again...appreciate it
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    I love all things tech but I still went for the digiQ. If there was a well done iPhone app and I could control the system, I would have went in the other direction. Either way you will not have regret.
  • BGEGP
    BGEGP Posts: 47
    I just purchased the DigiQ from Firecraft.  I went back and forth between the pit master and the two you are looking at.  I just decided for me the DigiQ was the best option.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    I love the Wi-Fi features.  It did take some time to set up, but I eventually got the email part working as well.  I love being able to monitor from anywhere in the house as well as on my phone when I am away.  For me, it was a great purchase and I really enjoy using it.
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Still not having any luck setting up the wifi in infrastructure mode. Kind of annoying.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• msocko3
    msocko3 Posts: 35
    I looked at the Wifi and couldn't justify the extra 100 bones, I don't carry my phone when at home and when I'm away and a cook goes bad I don't want to agonize over it when I can't leave what I'm doing and take care of what went wrong.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited March 2014
    I absolutely have no need or desire to monitor my cook from afar. I don't even use my Maverick any more. I don't wanna see graphs or charts either. I have the digiq2 and I set it and forget it. On a recent overnight cook, I set it up for 250° and went to bed. Woke up about 6 or 7AM, had coffee, had breakfast, took a shower, etc, etc. About 10AM, I finally went out and checked the egg. Butt was about 185-ish and the egg was at, whaddaya know... 250°. Like I knew it would be.

I suspect that one of these days, something will go wrong and I'll have to trash a cook. Oh well. I still have no interest in babysitting a grill.

Buy the DigiQ. Or better yet, save your money and go turbo. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited March 2014
    Carolina, surprised you even sprung for a digi q .
    I am trying to justify one, I've had 5 successful overnights just using the egg controls. Knowing you have one , this might be a purchase that's justified!

Now....talk to me about the extra $50 for the bge version badge...
    Seattle, WA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    SkinnyV said:
    Carolina, surprised you even sprung for a digi q . I am trying to justify one, I've had 5 successful overnights just using the egg controls. Knowing you have one , this might be a purchase that's justified! Now....talk to me about the extra $50 for the bge version badge...
    Good lord, don't buy one because I did!!! I'm surprised too. And regretful. I no longer do enough lo n slo cooks to justify the price. It's a nice crutch, but I still wish I hadn't. Some folks use it for chicken thighs. Maybe that's to feel better about spending the cash. 

And as for the $50 BGE label... you're kidding, right? Now, if it was autographed by Ardy Arani, that would be a different story! 
    =))

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• dfrelich
    dfrelich Posts: 104
    I absolutely have no need or desire to monitor my cook from afar. I don't even use my Maverick any more. I don't wanna see graphs or charts either. I have the digiq2 and I set it and forget it. On a recent overnight cook, I set it up for 250° and went to bed. Woke up about 6 or 7AM, had coffee, had breakfast, took a shower, etc, etc. About 10AM, I finally went out and checked the egg. Butt was about 185-ish and the egg was at, whaddaya know... 250°. Like I knew it would be.

I suspect that one of these days, something will go wrong and I'll have to trash a cook. Oh well. I still have no interest in babysitting a grill.

Buy the DigiQ. Or better yet, save your money and go turbo. 

I agree. Go DigiQ. It's pretty much set and forget it.  Get to it when you know of an expected time.  This is it.   I could have used that $100 for something else.  Oh well.  

But hey… as mentioned before… only time I saw justifications to the extra $100 was when I cooked 2 or more food at the same time.  That's when 3 probes are handy.  Sometimes my neighbor and I will agree to go in for long cook.  He buys me bag of charcoal for my work. 

So I set my wifi to send emails at an interval and when his food is ready.  I set my probe 1 as "mine" and probe 2 as "neighbor".  He can come in and take when his food is ready.  It works out to be ok because in the near future… I'll have made "even" for that $100 difference from him buying lump charcoal.

X-Large & Large
    Frederick County, MD
  • Resauers
    Resauers Posts: 40
    I wouldn't buy a DigiQ Wifi, I 've had nothing but problems, bad probes, mount that didn't fit, poor performance with wifi. The company told me that the probes aren't made for heat. They also told me to keep resetting my router because their web server would lock up.
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE
  • jmcnutt5
    jmcnutt5 Posts: 88
    Thanks for all the feedback.  It sounds like if you have to patience and know how, the CyberQ Wifi will work.  However, even though I like the gadget side of the CyberQ Wifi, I think I will go with the DigiQ DX2.  It will do what I need it to do.  I actually have a device that will tell me the temperature of the food while it is cooking so if I need extra probes for more than one item, I can always use that.  Sounds like I can't go wrong with either one and that is what I really wanted to hear.  
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Now I will throw some sand in the gears and suggest you do a forum search on the Flame Boss controller if you don't need WIFI.  It has a lot going for it.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    jmcnutt5 said:
    Thanks for all the feedback.  It sounds like if you have to patience and know how, the CyberQ Wifi will work.  However, even though I like the gadget side of the CyberQ Wifi, I think I will go with the DigiQ DX2.  It will do what I need it to do.  I actually have a device that will tell me the temperature of the food while it is cooking so if I need extra probes for more than one item, I can always use that.  Sounds like I can't go wrong with either one and that is what I really wanted to hear.  
    Just ordered yours......should be on the way soon I hope.  And you're right--they're all good units and ultimately all do the same thing very well.