Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Gasket & Dome Alignment - Two Questions

Options
swbouton
swbouton Posts: 24
edited March 2014 in EggHead Forum
My Large BGE is almost two years old and it looks as though I have just about cooked the original gasket off.  Some of it is literally hanging from the top.  A few days ago I smoked a pork butt.  The smoke from the apple chunks made it even more clear the gasket was shot.

Here's the problem::  I've also noticed that the dome is set to the rear about 1/4".  I think this might have happened when I broke the BGE down to place it into the table a year ago.  Regardless, it is definitely set back and I believe the fit of the dome to the base was good before this is, so I doubt this is a roundness problem.  All the bolts seem to be tight.  What, if anything do I do about this?

Rear Fit .... Front Fit

Thanks to RRP I have a new Rutland gasket ready for installation  I know the Rutland is to be installed on the base.  Do I just remove the top gasket and clean the top edge of the dome?

Thank you for your help!

Steve

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Never installed a Rutland, so take this for what it is worth. Given the Rutland is only going on the base, I'd install it first. 
    Loosen the bands so the dome is free to be re-positioned in the right place. Watch it does not slip off the base. While someone is holding it in place (SWMBO tells me I am not to call her dead weight anymore) tighten the bands, alternating between dome and base once they get some grip. Allow the band position to align with the held in place dome, and all should be good. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited March 2014
    Options
    swbouton said:
    My Large BGE is almost two years old and it looks as though I have just about cooked the original gasket off.  Some of it is literally hanging from the top.  A few days ago I smoked a pork butt.  The smoke from the apple chunks made it even more clear the gasket was shot.

Here's the problem::  I've also noticed that the dome is set to the rear about 1/4".  I think this might have happened when I broke the BGE down to place it into the table a year ago.  Regardless, it is definitely set back and I believe the fit of the dome to the base was good before this is, so I doubt this is a roundness problem.  All the bolts seem to be tight.  What, if anything do I do about this?

Rear Fit .... Front Fit

Thanks to RRP I have a new Rutland gasket ready for installation  I know the Rutland is to be installed on the base.  Do I just remove the top gasket and clean the top edge of the dome?

Thank you for your help!

Steve
    Normally I recommend that people not remove their dome when replacing the bottom gasket with a Rutland. Main reason which may not apply to you however is some people have trouble re-positioningt their bands and find tightening the nuts and adjusting to be a pain. In your case Skiddymarker has given you excellent advice on just loosening and re-tightening. Just remember after you have applied the Permatex it needs 24 hours to cure and if you go shifting your dome drastically before that then you may very well slide the gasket out of whack so check that condition while it is still wet. BTW even if application takes you more than an hour just remember this gasket will be the last you have to change for years to come!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • swbouton
    Options
    Thank you both for your advice.  It sounds good and I'm anxious to get to it.
  • swbouton
    Options
    I replaced the gasket this morning.  I followed  all RRP's instructions but I went one step further by removing everything from the BGE first.  After I removed the old gasket and wiped the BGE clean I installed the new gasket then restored all the parts.

It went well.  The removal was far easier than expected.  Much of the old gasket peeled right off.  Next I scraped, then used the 3M drill attachment and finally the pumice stone. 

I might have compressed the gasket a bit too much because the last quarter barely made it to the end.

I found the problem with the alignment - the band around the dome was not symmetrical.  It was lower in front than in the rear.  That was due to the over-tightened bolt which I will replace tomorrow.

Thank you for all your help.

Steve
  • RRP
    edited March 2014
    Options

...I might have compressed the gasket a bit too much because the last quarter barely made it to the end...

Steve, glad it came out ok! BTW too late now, but in my instructions I had the sentences with this hint:

Take your gasket and fold it in half and mark the center with a piece of masking tape.  Then do that again and mark those points as well so your gasket is now marked in quarter lengths.  This pointer will be helpful as a point of reference of just how compressed your gasket should be in relation to where you are on the edge.  Get it?  12:00 to 3:00 is one fourth, etc.

Ron

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    If you are replacing the two band bolts (the ones that bend), they are Grade 5 carriage bolts. Not sure if they have them at the big box stores, but Ace should have them.

PS, that lovely orange color goes away after a while. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• swbouton
    Options
    RRP, Yes, I did that trick with the masking tape.  The only answer has to be that I compressed too much between 6 and 9.

Carolina Q, I'm going to ACE tomorrow to get better bolts.  S/S maybe? and I'm glad to hear that orange racing strip will disappear.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    My dome is off as well, I figured I would fix it when I replaced my gasket. Gasket is hanging from the dome now, guess it's time when it warms up...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • RRP
    edited March 2014
    Options
    swbouton said:
     and I'm glad to hear that orange racing strip will disappear.
    trust me it does - even that which may ooze through from putting on too much!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    swbouton said:
    Carolina Q, I'm going to ACE tomorrow to get better bolts.  S/S maybe? and I'm glad to hear that orange racing strip will disappear.
    I don't know much about stainless bolts, but I don't think they come in grades. Just different levels of "stainlessness". It appears that stainless bolts are not quite as robust as Grade 5.

https://www.tessco.com/yts/customerservice/techsupport/whitepapers/pdf/bolt_grade.pdf

Does it matter? Beats me. My original bolts are over 4 years old and are still fine. If I ever have to replace them, I will buy the same type. Grade 5 galvanized, as I recall.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut