Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt going on for overnight cook

Options
I'll be up baby sitting for a while.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    r2davis65
    Good luck. How you doing your cook? What temp? What kind of wood? Pulled or diced?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• r2davis65
    r2davis65 Posts: 148
    Options
    Indirect with apple juice/water under grid in drip tray. Using v-rack to hold butt on the grid. Apple wood chunks with a few oak tossed in. Will keep temp around 235.
  • SGH
    Options
    r2davis65
    Let us know how it turns out. I baby sat a 15 pound pork shoulder all day and it wasnt even for me. I cooked it for a friend.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Enjoy the ride-and as noted by @SGH- the cook is the best part even if you don't reap the results-at least for me. Late Saturday and the BGE-pretty good deal!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • r2davis65
    Options
    Boston Butt went on the Egg at 1130 last night and I sat up watching temp until falling asleep about 2:00 a.m. Woke up around 6:30 to check and temp was hovering about 215. Making a few adjustments to raise temp back to 225-235. BGE worked all night while I snoozed away.
  • r2davis65
    Options
    Added apple juice to drip pan after 9 hours. Internal temp at 152. Making progress.
  • r2davis65
    Options
    Long cook. Took over 17 hours to get 190 internal temp. Family was hungry after 90 minutes of FTC so we started pulling. First bone in butt I've cooked. Is longer time normal? It was about 7 1/2 lbs.
  • Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Options
    Seems like it took a little longer than my usual cooks, but as they say each piece of meat is different.
    Looks great!
    Edina, MN

• SGH
    Options
    Budgeezer said:
    Seems like it took a little longer than my usual cooks, but as they say each piece of meat is different.
    Looks great!
    Just one point. If you have not been cooking over a water pan in previous cooks I want to point out using a water pan will increase cooking time by a large margin. I use and like a water pan some meats but again it does increase cooking time. Food looks great my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• r2davis65
    Options
    Looking back, I probably didn't allow enough time to defrost. It was a butt we bought a few weeks back and put in the freezer.
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    No need for water pan in the egg!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.