Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tailgate egg?

2»

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    One T ****!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    ?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    edited March 2014
    I was tailgating with my small for awhile after softball games but eventually became too much of a hassle and honestly worked way too good. The ceramic retains so much heat that even a lumpless egg cleaned out stays hot for a good period of time. Hated waiting for it to cool down to where I could pack it away and leave. So I bought a Smokey Joe and does what I need it to do for basic tailgating. I will grab the small or mini egg if it's 3+ hours of tailgating and food worthwhile on the egg. Just not worth hauling around for burgers, brats, dogs, etc
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    You weren't prepared if you are waiting for it to cool down. Before the carten I had a small wooden crate with a paver in it and I emptied the egg and threw it back in the wooden cart and put it in my trunk. With the carten I do the same. The carten difuses heat very good. I have had the mini at 500 plus for hours cooking directly on a plastic cooler or table and no issues.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    Lit said:

You weren't prepared if you are waiting for it to cool down. Before the carten I had a small wooden crate with a paver in it and I emptied the egg and threw it back in the wooden cart and put it in my trunk. With the carten I do the same. The carten difuses heat very good. I have had the mini at 500 plus for hours cooking directly on a plastic cooler or table and no issues.

A wooden crate would definitely help the situation with the egg and heat. Just not worth lugging around a small for 1/2 hour of cook time and for basic foods I can achieve on the Joe. If i was going to do some real tailgating I would grab my egg. Doesn't make sense on softball nights for something quick
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • henapple
    I'd grab a weber. ..
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    henapple said:

I'd grab a weber. ..

BANNED.
  • henapple
    Maybe. It's burgers and dogs for ballplayers. I've spent many a blistering, hot afternoon watching little league. Easy is better. JMHO.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    henapple said:

Maybe. It's burgers and dogs for ballplayers. I've spent many a blistering, hot afternoon watching little league. Easy is better. JMHO.

I'm not there yet, I'll take your word for it though.
  • Thanks for all the great feedback...ive been looking to get a second egg so I'm trying to leverage this two birds thing...After a few attempts we bay abandon the traveling idea.

@lit the carten might be the way to go if they start making them again...

I saw the trailer hitch for sale but I'm quite a ways from TN.

Thanks again for all the feedback.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • alynd
    alynd Posts: 130
    SGH said:
    Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    I just purchased a kamado joe jr. It has the capacity of the small egg and the portability of the mini. Its kind of like having 2 eggs in 1. You really should give it a look if you are looking to get a portable ceramic cooker.
    How much was it and where'd you buy it from?
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @alynd

It was purchased at Comptons Appliances in Gulfport. My son picked it up for 399.00

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    I just bought an akorn jr from Menards for $139. Haven't tried it yet but I think it will be great for the price?
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Honestly for the ball field I don't know if an egg is the best tool for the job.  The mini is too small to cook for a group and even the small might be if you are cooking for the entire team + parents + siblings.  

The other thing is there is a good chance that where you want to grill is far from where you park, so you might need to carry it a long distance.  Chances are you already have coolers, camping chairs, ez-up, baseball gear, etc, etc.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Lit
    Man I have been trying to find a Kamado Joe Jr. since I saw this thread and I just found a red one like I wanted and its only like a half hour away. Problem is they want $500 for it and the store is in the same town that the Kamado Joes ship from. What a rip.
  • Helmet
    Helmet Posts: 163
    Medium BGE, Weber Q120 (The traveller)
    "I claim artistic license, it has a good beat, I can dance to it"
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    edited March 2014
    My coworker loves his Jumbo Joe. Very portable, and he's even done butts and ribs on it.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Tackman
    Tackman Posts: 230
    I still use the weber smokey joe for tail gates. Usually cook a few slabs of ribs on the egg a day or two in advance, food saver them, throw them in the cooler, and then sauce and heat on the weber.
    Cleveland, Ohio
  • Lit
    Woohoo. Kj junior on the way.