Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help!!!! (Pork Butts)

Options
Deetwood
Deetwood Posts: 70
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've done a million pork butts and the usually take 16 hours on average. Problem is I need to smoke a couple in 12 hours or less. Can this be done without drying out the meet?

Comments

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    Deetwood,
    I think you can, bump up your temp about 125 degrees for the first 3 hours and lower your time to finish off the cook.

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Deetwood,
    This is in the recipe section.
    Larry

[ul][li]Uncle Bill's Pulled Pork [/ul]
  • Deetwood
    Options
    I also need to learn how to spell meat.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Deetwood,
    you could cut them in half. no kidding.
    that, or run them normal through the plateau as long as possible, then ramp the temp at the end to finish them off.
    the plateau is the big deal. [p]but if you speed thru the plateau, you could always chop the pork too. it'll still make people's eyes roll back into their heads

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    Deetwood,
    i believe you can raise the grill temp up to about 300 until the internal is at 140, then drop your temps for the plataue, then raise them back up after the plataues have finished, after say 180 internal for a 12 hour cook. my usual cook goes 275 til 140 internal/225 thru plataue/275 to finish for about 13/14 hours. foiling at the end will also speed things up.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Deetwood,
    I make mine all the time in less than 12 hours. I don't use the platesetter. I use a rib rack and put foil on the rack. The foil provides a bit of indirect heat imo. Then I set the temp at 200-225. Got 2 going on the smoker right now. Put them on at 7AM. Internal is up to 140 now according to the bride. Will be ready to eat when I get home from work. VERY MOIST. Low Temps + BGE + a very forgiving piece of meat = GOOD TIMES.