Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cedar plank

shannonlcorum
shannonlcorum Posts: 200
edited February 2014 in Seafood

Are these like 1 time use boards? I used one last night and it got pretty charred on the bottom. I soaked it for a long time (1+ hours) beforehand, but it's pretty burned. I've never used one before and so I wasn't sure what their life expectancy was.

ShannyShooShoo 
Owner of 1 Mini BGE and 1 Wood-fired Brick Oven.
Mother of 4 boys, 1 obese feline, 1 mean-assed chow, 1 rowdy bulldog, and 6 completely spoiled sugar gliders

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    I only use them one time, but I have the luxury of having received a bunch as gifts that are sitting on my shelves.  I know some people here re-use them multiple (3 or 4) times.  I think that they assess it after each use and make a call on whether or not they want to clean and re-use - or just toss it. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    edited February 2014
    I seldom reuse ... more concerned about the side that was in contact with food, the charred side doesn't bother me.

Instead of fancy schmancy shrink wrapped individual planks, I buy untreated cedar fence boards from big orange/blue and cut them as needed to fit he salmon piece(s).  Some folks even buy bundle of cedar shingles!
    canuckland
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Indirect and I'll reuse. Direct. . Toss.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I'll get three or four cooks per plank before they're too charred.  I don't toss them either.  I'll cut them up and use them like wood chips.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    henapple said:
    Interesting thought.  Dumb question: After using it direct, can I reuse it in indirect mode, assuming the concern is the charred underside may ignite more spontaneously if used in direct again?
    canuckland
  • Great responses. I used mine on a mini so it was pretty close to the heat. Probably why it charred so bad. I'll have to look in to some other cedar sources. $5 for two planks can get pricey if you use them alot. Or I may forgo them all together. Just thought I'd try one out with salmon. Not too bad. A little dry. Probably my fault for over cooking.

Thanks!

ShannyShooShoo 
    Mother of 4 boys, 1 obese feline, 1 mean-assed chow, 1 rowdy bulldog, and 6 completely spoiled sugar gliders
  • Wow! Didn't know they made such a thing. The double is actually cheaper than the single. I didn't see any review yet. I'm curious to see how well they work.
    ShannyShooShoo 
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    We order cedar planks from outdoorgourmet.com . Often have bulk sales at really good prices for seconds. Now, can get large ones for 30 for $35.00 or about 60% off retail. Free shipping. Have all different sizes. We use them a lot for salmon and meatloaf. Give it a look.
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • gpsegg said:
    We order cedar planks from outdoorgourmet.com . Often have bulk sales at really good prices for seconds. Now, can get large ones for 30 for $35.00 or about 60% off retail. Free shipping. Have all different sizes. We use them a lot for salmon and meatloaf. Give it a look.

Thanks for the tip.  I see they have alder planks also.  I prefer them to cedar and the prices can't be beat.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• henapple

henapple said:

Interesting thought.  Dumb question: After using it direct, can I reuse it in indirect mode, assuming the concern is the charred underside may ignite more spontaneously if used in direct again?

Idk. Wonder if the soaked char would add a bad taste.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I bought a case of 100 late last year from someone on the forum for a buck each.  They are 5 3/8 wide by 15 long and almost 3/8 thick.  I use once and toss. 

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    I use them several times and I cook direct.  Haven't noticed any issues with re-use.
    Southern California
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    I use the cedar planks many times.  The secret is to start soaking them after lunch for a dinner cook. Then be sure to sure a raised grid at least as high as the felt gasket line or above.  I heat the top part for 3 minutes to get it warmed up and then flip the charred side down and put my salmon on top of it.  I have to soak the board afterwards and scrape it clean (a bit of a hassle) but it sure does add a real nice Cedar aroma to the fish.    
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    The first time I did them they were so charred I didn't bother keeping them.  I think usually they don't recommend using dishwashing detergent on the planks, so you are supposed to heat them in the egg (oven) to sterilize them before putting food on them.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• henapple
    @dlk7. ..where you been?
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    @henapple ..Found out my position is being eliminated.  Thinking through what to do next. 

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• gpsegg said:
    Hey guys,  Thanks for the Outdoor Gourmet shout out. Just so others know. We create grilling planks to sell to retail stores, but in the process some don't turn out nice enough to re-sell, so we sell those as seconds on our website. Depending on how many we have in inventory, we may have some screaming deals. If you are just looking to burn them up and care more about delicious flavor than pretty looks, these are a great deal.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873

gpsegg said:

Hey guys,  Thanks for the Outdoor Gourmet shout out. Just so others know. We create grilling planks to sell to retail stores, but in the process some don't turn out nice enough to re-sell, so we sell those as seconds on our website. Depending on how many we have in inventory, we may have some screaming deals. If you are just looking to burn them up and care more about delicious flavor than pretty looks, these are a great deal.

I just bought 15 cedar and 15 alder plank seconds for a total of $30. They are a little small but good quality and a good price. I will be back for more. Thanks.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • I just bought 15 cedar and 15 alder plank seconds for a total of $30. They are a little small but good quality and a good price. I will be back for more. Thanks.
    Glad you like them. Those are 6x8's. The 5.5x11.75 are a little bigger and are our most popular size. We currently sell 30 of those for $38 bucks, but the best deal right now is our really big size 7x15 because we just finished a big order for a major retailer and have lots of seconds. You buy 20 of those and get five free. They are great for the largest salmon filets like a King Salmon.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    for those who re-use their cedar planks, how do you clean them for storage?

I can't imagine washing porous wood with soap, because then I would expect the next use to transfer a soapy taste to the food, and I can't see not washing them (unless maybe freezing them).
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• @Zmokin, Yes, I wouldn't recommend using soap. I would also recommend cooking the same food the second time. With that said, I like to keep the mess outside. I have the hose with my nozzle right near the grill. I just spray the plank off, and use my grill brush to get some of the more stubborn pieces off. Then, You might want to soak it for a little while again, then wrap it in plastic wrap and stick it in the freezer. It will be ready to go the next time you want to use it. I have found that I don't get as much flavor the second time around, but then I get mine smoking pretty good the first time.
  • @1310monster While Western Red Cedar has a delicious flavor, when you are cooking low and slow, cedar tends to burn too quickly. That makes it great for grilling. Hardwoods are generally recommended for smoking.
  • outdoorgourmet
    outdoorgourmet Posts: 5
    edited March 2014
    @canugghead good call on making sure they are untreated. You may want to make sure they have not been sprayed with any anti-fungal to keep them looking nice in the store. We use food grade lubricants in all our equipment and treat these as food grade products. I am not sure how cedar fence boards get treated in the manufacturing process. They might be okay.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    You can't use cedar for smoking can you? Nor pine...didn't think so. Wrong species of tree.
    You can use cedar, I wouldn't use pine because of the turpentine factor.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Big Ragu
    Big Ragu Posts: 148
    Save your money guys. Go to your local lumberyard and buy untreated cedar shims. I bought a bundle for under 10$ and prob contains 50 planks. Only catch is they are shims so they have are not same thickness all the way accross. Cook just the same as store bought. One time use only.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Agree with @Big Ragu‌ I go down to my local lumber yard and buy planks of cedar, it's a tad thicker but way cheaper. All I do is get out my miter saw and cut them up and stack in my car hold.

Learned my lesson on this when the wife went to the store and paid $11.0 for three planks.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.