Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

APL's Short Ribs with Fleur De Sel

After searching for a plate of short ribs for a while, I finally located some at the local Restaurant Depot. Granted I had to buy 4 plates weighing a total of 18 lbs (the chopstick is just to give perspective on size - it's 10" long):

I decided to try Adam Perry Lang's recipe for Short Ribs with Fleur De Sel: http://abc.go.com/shows/jimmy-kimmel-live/news/recipes/adam-perry-lang-short-ribs

The ribs start with applying a mustard based moisturizer:

The ribs went outside to meet up with the Large Egg which had been stabilized at 250 with some red oak for smoke wood (a light brush of canola oil was applied before they went it):

Five hours later then were wrapped in foil with the wrapping mixture and back on the Egg for an hour:

The final 45 minutes on the Egg were unwrapped:

The final stage includes using this Fleur De Sel (I think is French for "Ha Ha you paid $15 for half a pound of sea salt") as part of the board dressing:

The recipe calls for slicing the rib meat perpendicular to the bone and dredging the slices on the board dressing:

This was definitely different way of cooking beef ribs for me as I normally cook beef back ribs with simple rubs and simply just cooking them until indirect until tender. The end result on these short ribs was incredibly moist & tender beef but perhaps a little salty for our tastes. I will do this again (I have two more plates) but will cut back a little on the seasoning.

Thanks for looking!

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    That's what i'm talking about!  Way to join the dino rib club with a bang bro!

As always, great pics!  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Well done sir!! You nailed that one.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Yummmmmmmmmmm. Nice.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    cazzy said:
    That's what i'm talking about!  Way to join the dino rib club with a bang bro!

As always, great pics!  

Thanks cazzy! Your recent short rib posts was certainly a motivation to find these ribs.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Great pics!

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    i've done that one without the foil...they are fantastic!
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    U_tarded said:

When it was time to foil them they didn't look too far from being ready to eat so I can believe that! It was hard to resist taking a bite.

Bay Area, CA
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    R2Egg2Q said:

U_tarded said:

When it was time to foil them they didn't look too far from being ready to eat so I can believe that! It was hard to resist taking a bite.

I got distracted and missed it by like 30 mins but I just let it ride until they probed tender. I am gonna do they again with the foil because I don't like altering recipes the first time I try them.